At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
Disruption is at the core of our technology and on our way of work to meet the needs of our employees now and in the future through FLEXWORK, our approach to how we work. We’re changing the nature of work from benefits to learning, location to leadership, we’ve rethought and recreated every aspect of the employee experience at Palo Alto Networks. And because it FLEXes around each individual employee based on their individual choices, employees are empowered to push boundaries and help us all evolve, together.
The Unit 42 Engineering team specializes in providing tools enabling threat researchers and incident response consultants to work more efficiently across the vast amounts of data Palo Alto Networks has at its disposal. Unit 42 Engineers bridge the gap between application development using modern best practices, technology and world-class research teams within Unit 42.
This role will challenge you to become a true force-multiplier, assisting the security research team through designing and building threat centric application workflows, process automations, and the creation of intelligent data architectures for threat intelligence and telemetry collection at scale.
- Design and develop features & integrations to enable scalable threat data collection, analysis, and countermeasure creation
- Work with existing backend systems to drive REST APIs and workflows via Python (Flask), relying on a variety of data sources – SQL (MySQL/MariaDB, Spanner), NoSQL, and document stores containing more data than one can imagine
- Work with existing frontend systems to consume REST APIs and create web based workflows using JS (React) to create frontends that Threat Researchers can consume threat data through
- Contribute to existing and new frameworks that allow threat researchers to focus on the threats and engineers (us) to focus on the proper tooling to make it all work at scale.
- Partner with other development and business teams to manage dependencies and communicate technical specifications
- Work with existing deployment infrastructure to regularly deploy releases using modern tools such as git and CI/CD (Gitlab CI, Docker, Spinnaker, Kubernetes, Rancher)
- Strong understanding and usage of Python, SQL, and working knowledge of one or more non-relational databases such as ElasticSearch, Cassandra, BigQuery, etc. Experience with Google Cloud Spanner and Google Cloud Storage is a plus
- Strong background in developing JS based frontends, preferably in React
- Experience developing container based applications using tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, Rancher, and/or Helm
- Demonstrated full stack programming capability and desire to mature an idea or feature from pseudo-code to a minimum viable product
- Creation of, and integration with REST APIs. Experience with Flask or other Python frameworks, such as FastAPI, is a plus
- Experience working with queuing technologies such as RabbitMQ & Pub/Sub to build scalable solutions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and experience working on remote teams
- Experience with cloud environments such as AWS or GCP is a plus
- Background or interest in threat intelligence and applied security is a plus
Our engineering team is at the core of our products and connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating — challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.
We define the industry instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
Palo Alto Networks is evolving and changing the nature of work to meet the needs of our employees now and in the future through FLEXWORK, our approach to how we work. From benefits to learning, location to leadership, we’ve rethought and recreated every aspect of the employee experience at Palo Alto Networks. And because it FLEXes around each individual employee based on their individual choices, employees are empowered to push boundaries and help us all evolve, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at [email protected]
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
Disclosure required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum compensation (includes on-target earnings = base + on target incentives for sales roles) for this role to be located in the state of Colorado. If hired in Colorado, this position starts at $118,500/yr. Depending on the position offered, restricted stock units and incentive or bonus pay may be provided as part of this compensation package. Additional benefits may be found here.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Covid-19 Vaccination Information for Palo Alto Networks Jobs
- Vaccine requirements and disclosure obligations vary by country.
- Unless applicable law requires otherwise, you must be vaccinated for COVID or qualify for a reasonable accommodation if:
- The job requires accessing a company worksite
- The job requires in-person customer contact and the customer has implemented such requirements
- You choose to access a Palo Alto Networks worksite
If you have questions about the vaccine requirements of this particular position based on your location or job requirements, please inquire with the recruiter.