We create smart innovations to meet the mobility challenges of today and tomorrow. We design and manufacture a complete range of transportation systems, from high-speed trains to electric buses and driverless trains, as well as infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a truly global community of more than 75 000 people dedicated to solving real-world mobility challenges and achieving international projects with sustainable local impact.
A Software Engineer will work on the development, introduction and support of signalling process and tools products, software and processes into the UK market. This portfolio currently includes CAD, Plans Software, SmartBench along with their associated processes. The technical elements of the role includes the capturing of requirements, product and tool development and/or adaptation for the UK market, product introduction (including supporting the product acceptance process) and product support (project delivery and end customer support). The managerial aspects of the role include responsibility for delivery including Cost, Quality and Time and the management and development of staff within the team.
The Software Engineer will play a significant role in the design, development and testing of software, typically running on a Windows operating system, that forms part of one of a number systems. The software ranges from applications featuring rich user interfaces, using VB, .Net, C#, SQL to support systems with limited user interaction and backend databases and services. The applications usually encompasses communication using industry specific protocols over UDP, TCP and/or serial(RS232/422) depending on the connected systems. As the applications are vital to the running of the UK railways the software must be designed to operate error free, 24/7, within a safety related environment.
This will include; requirements capture, specifications, code reviews, Verification and Validation support, deployment and test tools, client meetings, commissioning support and occasional site visits and contribution to processes and obsolescence resolution.
This will give the opportunity to provide solutions to intellectually challenging problems presented by the UK Rail infrastructure.
Participate in the production of software specifications, liaising with the Customer as necessary
- Participate in the design, coding and module testing of software
- Participate in peer reviews on software specifications, designs and source code.
- Support the installation and commissioning of software
- Provide support to customers of software
- Assist with sales proposals for software projects
- Supervise and/or Liaise with Contractors, Technicians and System Testers
- Ensure all the above are performed in compliance with prevailing standards and procedures for quality and configuration management
- Support submissions to Safety Cases
- Conduct Design Reviews
- To comply with Corporate & Environment, Health & Safety requirements at all times
- Number of delivery activities delivered on time and to budget
- Number of development activities delivered on time and to budget
- Number of in service defects closed out on time
- Product availability (as measured by component obsolescence)
- Number of buiness and technical briefings attended
- A background in software development with specific experience developing Windows applications
- Familiar with Visual Studio 2017+
- Experience in using .Net platform
- Experience of using SQL (MySQL/MSSQL)
- Experience of writing reusable C# libraries
- Experience of software versioning tools (Azure DevOps preferred)
- Develop and undertake unit test activities
- In depth knowledge of software development processes
- In depth knowledge of C# (7 years+)
- In depth knowledge of Windows Operating Systems
- Experience developing software using UDP / TCP communications
- SQL Server DBA
- Interfacing and developing with MicroStation/MDL
An agile, inclusive and responsible culture is the foundation of our company where diverse people are offered excellent opportunities to grow, learn and advance in their careers. We are committed to encouraging our employees to reach their full potential, while valuing and respecting them as individuals.
Alstom is the leading company in the mobility sector, solving the most interesting challenges for tomorrow’s mobility. That’s why we value inquisitive and innovative people who are passionate about working together to reinvent mobility, making it smarter and more sustainable. Day after day, we are building an agile, inclusive, and responsible culture, where a diverse group of people are offered opportunities to learn, grow and advance in their careers, with options across functions and geographic locations. Are you ready to join a truly international community of great people on a challenging journey with a tangible impact and purpose?
We aim to have a welcoming and inclusive environment for individuals, of different ages, genders, ethnicities, disability, LGBT, religion and/or belief. As a 'Disability Confident Leader' employer, we will interview all disabled job applicants who match the essential criteria of the job description or specification. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.