Fleetio is looking for an Engineering leader who has an unrelenting drive and the know-how to build scalable, maintainable software solutions with great software design principles and a pragmatic approach.
Fleetio has a modern tech stack (Ruby on Rails, ReactJS, ES6, Postgres) and we are growing our product and team rapidly. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the architecture and technical direction based on our product vision. The ideal candidate relishes taking on challenging problems, has a solid track record of building scalable solutions, and can become an expert of a sub-domain within the platform.
Fleetio is a modern software platform that helps thousands of organizations around the world manage a fleet. We are making an impact on how our customers manage their fleets and you will play a major role in helping shape a key sub-domain within the platform. Transportation technology is a hot market and we’re leading the charge, with raving fans and new customers signing up every day. We recently raised a $21M Series B round and are on an exciting trajectory as a company.
- Fleetio overview video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlvIbwZT3oU
- More about the Fleetio platform: https://www.fleetio.com/features
- API docs: developer.fleetio.com
- Test drive Fleetio to get an even better feel for what we're building: https://www.fleetio.com/register
This is a remote role and is open to candidates in the United States, Canada, or Mexico.
What you'll be doing
- You will work closely with the Lead Engineer to own a large business domain and provide technical direction to your squad as necessary.
- You will help the team deliver well-tested, maintainable, and performant code.
- You will act as a liaison and work closely with Product Managers, Designers, and other Engineers to plan, design, architect, and implement features in the core areas of our platform.
- You will be working with interesting data points/streams at scale (both in-house data and from integrations with 3rd parties such as GPS and fuel card providers) to provide actionable insights to the end-user.
- You will research, implement prototypes and spikes as necessary to validate assumptions and technical feasibility.
- You will champion code quality and introduce necessary design patterns by working in unison with other Staff and Principal Engineers.
- You will pave the way for other Engineers on the team by building a solid technical foundation.
- You will help grow Fleetio's Engineering culture and brand.
What's in it for you
- Be a part of an incredible team of “A” players who go above and beyond to make Fleetio a successful company. You will build software used by people all around the world. So many different types of companies and organizations operate a fleet each day, and Fleetio is a good fit for most of them (it’s a huge market).
- Work remotely (within the United States, Canada, or Mexico) or at our Birmingham, AL HQ. Over 80% of our Engineering Team works remotely (including our CTO), and we have promoted a strong remote working culture since the beginning (2012)
- We place great emphasis on work/life balance. We have families and hobbies and know you do too.
Our Engineering and Product teams are structured as autonomous squads that execute within one focal area toward a defined product vision. We're hardcore believers in easy-to-use software, and our main goal as Product Engineers is to quickly and continuously deliver meaningful value to our customers. We've optimized our CI/CD tools and processes to easily get code into our production environments, resulting in an average of 40 deploys per week.
- Check out our Engineering culture page: https://www.fleetio.com/careers/engineering
- Watch our culture videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL-z627bKIC-a9PhdQ-MHG2zyMf6W_aeq
- 8+ years experience with Ruby on Rails or similar web framework
- Extensive experience designing and building REST APIs
- Deep expertise with relational database concepts
- Possess the knack to navigate large codebases, seamlessly introduce good design patterns and principles
- Hands-on tech leadership experience including leading projects and providing technical direction
- Proven ability to gain expert level understanding and ownership of a business domain
- Solid track record of leading large, complex projects to successful delivery
- Ability to work with distributed teams and work towards collective success
- Passion for teaching and mentoring other engineers
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
Considered a plus, if you have experience with…
- CI/CD Pipeline
- 100% health/dental coverage (50% coverage for family)
- Vision insurance
- Incentive stock options
- 401(k) match of 4%
- PTO – 4 weeks
- 8 company holidays + 2 floating holidays
- Parental and bonding leave
- Dependent care and medical FSA
- Short and long term disability
- Community service funds
- Professional development funds
- Health and wellness initiatives
- Mac laptop
- Monthly catered lunches
- Fully stocked kitchen with tons of drinks & snacks
- Remote working friendly since 2012
Not quite what you were hoping for? Check out our other engineering roles here.
For Non-U.S. based candidates, Fleetio offers a country-specific competitive benefits package.
Fleetio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
This application is not intended to and does not create a contract or offer of employment. Employment with Fleetio is at will.
If you have a disability or a special need that requires an accommodation to fill out the online application, please let us know by calling (205) 718-7500 or emailing email@example.com.