UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
At OptumLabs, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We accomplish this by working at the intersection of healthcare and technology, striving to create the most effective, affordable, equitable, and engaging health care solutions for patients, payers, and providers. When you bring your talents to OptumLabs – the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group (UHG) – your contributions will change the lives of millions of people.
OptumLabs is a diverse and curious team with the highest level of expertise in engineering, cloud systems, product development, artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML), scientific research, and clinical practices. We partner with global thought leaders across a range of disciplines to build disruptive solutions and innovative products that change the way healthcare is accessed and delivered. For decades, UHG has been a global leader in the healthcare industry, meaning that we have access to the most robust healthcare datasets on the planet. Today, UHG is well positioned to be the leader in applying AI and ML capabilities to solve the most complex problems in health care.
OptumLabs engineering team works to develop a Data, Analytics, and Machine Learning platform that unifies available data, expands UHGs data portfolio, and provides a common infrastructure that allows AI/ML practitioners to expedite the development of AI-enabled products. We strive to ensure that data is of high quality and meets all security and compliance requirements. We develop platform capabilities that are reusable and scalable across the enterprise. These capabilities accelerate our enterprise strategy, while providing computing services that allow UHG to develop and deploy AI and ML products that impact millions of lives each day.
If you are located in Seattle, WA, Eden Prairie, MN or New York City, NY, you will have the flexibility to telecommute* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Build and manage secure, scalable, and distributed AI/ML training and hosting platform, evaluation frameworks and visualization tools
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain innovative software solutions to transform service performance, durability, cost, and security
- Use software engineering best practices to ensure a high standard of quality for all the teams deliverables. Write high quality distributed system software
- Perform code review and mentor junior engineers
Youll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java or Python
- Solid computer science and development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, and complexity analysis
- Experience building large-scale software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Hands-on experience in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end software systems and all points in between
- Knowledge of professional software engineering and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build process, testing, and operations
- Masters in computer science, or equivalent profession experience
- 5+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer or a Software Developer
- Experience crafting and implementing highly scalable web services
- Experience building and operating critical, highly available (24 x 7) systems
- Experience building and leading complex, scalable, high-performance software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Experience communicating with users, software development engineering teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features and technical designs
- Demonstrated ability to mentor junior software engineers in all aspects of their engineering duties
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination prior to employment to ensure compliance
WE LEAD WITH DIVERSITY, INCLUSION AND COMPASSION
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to walk in each others shoes and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital, and championed by leaders.
WE INVEST IN TALENT
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Groups Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Senior Software Engineer, Seattle, Bellevue, WA, Washington, Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota, New York City, NY, New York, Boston, MA, Massachusetts, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote