Streaming is believingRoku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV and continues to innovate and lead the industry. While we are well positioned to help shape the future of television and streaming media around the world, continued success stems from experienced embedded software engineers like you joining the Roku OS, Streaming Media team.
In this role, you will be part of the team that's responsible for Roku’s Media engine, implementing new features and designing algorithms that deliver flawless video playback to all our users. This includes optimizing network interactions between our player and CDN, implementing adaptive streaming stacks, integrating DRM systems and developing tools to monitor performance.
The features and performance improvements you implement directly impact millions of users every day. This is a great role for an experienced professional who has innovative ideas for complex problems and can translate these ideas into ultra-reliable software.
What you’ll be doing
- Extend Roku's player feature set to support new business opportunities and the latest multi-media specifications
- Continuously improve playback on Roku devices, deliver our users a world-class player experience under all operating conditions
- Work independently and in small groups to deliver new features and functionality on-time
- Demonstrate excellence in C++ development and deliver high-performance, ultra-reliable software
- Demonstrate impeccable software design skills, make extensive changes to an existing C++ code base that are modular and easy to maintain
- Demonstrate the ability to dig deep to find solutions to tough problems affecting our users
We’re excited if you have
- Extensive programming experience with C++
- 7+ years of relevant software development experience
- Experience with multi-threaded development
- Proven track record of success with embedded system development projects
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule
- In-depth understanding of the Linux operating system
- Knowledge of technologies as TCP/IP, HTTP, PlayReady, Widevine, HLS or Dash
- Bachelors or Masters’ in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
Our unique culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Hear from one of our leaders
Or hear directly from dozens of our Roku staff around the world at http://bit.ly/WeAreRokuVideos.