We are hiring!!!
We have an amazing opportunity for an accomplished Software Engineer to join our team, reporting directly to the Head of Platform Energy, you will be a key member of a wider team which is made up of 10 squads, with circa 80 hands on Developers, mostly Salesforce and AWS.
Location: Flexible/remote, you can work in central London office or at home, we have people working all over the UK but also a range of office locations.
Package: Competitive base salary, plus healthcare, annual bonus, pension options and 25 days holiday
We have asked the hiring manager some questions to offer some real insight and hopefully help you decide if this could be your next career move!
Why should you come and work with us?
Centrica is a great place to work, as a team, we have a start-up mentality and are modernising at pace, your interactions internally will vary, you may have lunch with the MD or CIO one day and then spend some time in our contact centre talking to colleagues who speak directly to our customers the next! As an organisation, we passionate about diversity and inclusion and committed to our workforce also representing our customers!
We are also fully cloud based, you will be working with a range of AWS Services and related cloud skills and have access to a range of new and emerging tech.
What does a typical day look like for in this role?
Stand-up, in the early part of the day, then maybe break into smaller sessions, the rest of the day is spent developing solutions. We try to ensure developers are given time to focus without continual context switching. Squads are arranged along agile principles and follow the normal ceremonies.
Some of the more specific activities will include:
- Analyse, design, program, debug, and modify software enhancements and/or new products used in local, networked, cloud-based or Internet-related computer programs.
- Using current programming language and technologies, write code, complete programming, and perform testing and debugging of applications
- Complete documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
- Interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications.
What impact will the Software Engineer have on the business and its customers?
You will be making changes that will be visible to both customers and our colleagues, improving processes and enabling the migration of millions of customers to a new cloud platform.
What's exciting activities are happening right now?
We are Migrating 7 million customers as well as modernising energy platforms to support NetZero. We are creating solutions that supports the dynamic nature of energy usage, as we use more EV, Heat pumps and Battery Storage. It's a very exciting time to join Centrica!
What could a career pathway look like?
There will be opportunities to develop technically as a Full Stack developer, and further career in AWS, including but not limited to arrange of newer services such as Connect, Lex and Glue. We would encourage candidates who want be dev leads and help develop our pool of early talent to apply as this will offer some excellent learning and development opportunities
What skills and experience will your ideal candidate have?
My ideal candidate will posses the following, this will really help set them up for success in this role:
- Building or maintaining cloud-native applications.
- Experience with the core AWS services
- Strong notions of security best practices eg IAM Roles, KMS, encryption etc
- Appreciation of 'supportability' of solutions built and monitoring their operational performance.
- Writing API's and integration with other system notably Salesforce.
- Previous exposure to scalable systems design.
- Previous experience with the serverless approaches using AWS Lambda. For example, the Serverless Application Model (AWS SAM).
- Experience with a range of AWS Services such as Glue, Lex, Connect, Congnito, SMS, S3 etc .
- Experience with CI/CD platforms and source code control.
- Knowledge of writing infrastructure as code (IaC) using appropriate technologies (eg. CloudFormation, Terraform, Scripting)
- Ability to produce automated unit testing and code coverage for any developments.