VICE PRES INFORMATION TECHNLGY (UA-VPIT-IUBLA)
At University Information Technology Services (UITS) we ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility, and creativity, as well as a culture that champions inclusion, diversity, and overall employee well-being through programs supported university-wide. Our core values define who we are, how we act, and what we aspire to, which helps us to make amazing things happen in each neighborhood, community, and county we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.
The Enterprise Applications team at Indiana University designs, develops, and operates university-wide software systems. As a software engineer, you will be part of a dynamic product team which works in a rapid and iterative fashion to deliver software products that are both high value and mission critical to the university. This exciting job involves collaborating with end users and stakeholders, participating in the design process, writing user stories, performing quality assurance activities, and performing data analysis. You will become part of a talented team that creates innovative solutions that help to power Indiana University.
- Works within a product team to understand business problems, and to design, implement, and deliver solutions using Agile methodology.
- Provides input by actively participating in Agile related meetings.
- Adapts work plans if required toward the sprint goal in consultation with the team.
- Holds self and team members accountable in an open and respectful manner.
- Develops web applications that are highly available, reliable, performant, scalable, maintainable, are well structured, backed by automated tests, and include sufficient comments and documentation.
- Analyzes functional requirements, design and implementation & participate in technical design of application components in a distributed web platform.
- Designs, builds, and maintains efficient, reusable, and reliable code.
- Participates in unit and integration testing & collaborate with QA on acceptance testing
- Identifies bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to mitigate issues
- Supports management of the team's technical infrastructure (e.g., repository, build system, testing system).
- Provides experienced design, development, testing, and configuration of software systems and computer programs.
- Performs experienced analysis, programming, troubleshooting, bug-fixing, and tuning of new and existing software.
- Consults with stakeholders/clients to review existing software solutions; develops new functionality and/or writes new code as needed; advises clients on critical decisions regarding information technology to improve overall business process efficiency.
- Determines program module test procedures, generates required test data, and executes testing procedures.
- Collaborates with other technical staff and stakeholders/clients to ensure optimum functionality, performance, accessibility, scalability, and security of supported software.
- Documents software development efforts (changes, new functionality, issue/problem resolution).
- Provides documentation, information, and training through formal and informal communications to end users, departments, and internal staff.
- Contributes to project planning, formulating objectives, estimating tasks; performs studies to include feasibility, conceptual design, cost/benefit analysis, development and implementation planning
- Ensures that all protocols used in the development and maintenance of software is up to date and compliant with university policies and standards; researches and stays up-to-date on new industry software development standards, emerging technology, UX/UI design/philosophy, and accessibility standards.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in computer science, business systems, or related field
- 2 years software development or related experience
- 4 years of software engineering experience, ideally as a full-stack engineer.
Combinations of related education and experience may be considered.
- Proficient communication skills
- Maintains a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrates time management and priority setting skills
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality
- Possesses flexibility to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment
- Seeks to acquire knowledge in area of specialty
- Highly thorough and dependable
- Demonstrates a high level of accuracy, even under pressure
- Strong application design and development expertise in Microsoft .NET Core, Web API, MS SQL Server, MVC, and Entity Framework.
- Implementing and Using APIs and understanding of HTTP and REST architecture.
- Experience with relational databases, writing Stored Procedures, Functions, etc.
- Experienced on automated unit and integration testing.
- First-hand experience with Agile software development methodologies.
- Good understanding of microservices design and architecture.
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps pipelines (CI/CD).
Working Conditions / Demands
This role requires the ability to effectively communicate and to operate a computer and other standard office productivity equipment. The position involves sedentary work as well as periods of time moving around an office environment and the campus. The person in this role must be able to perform the essential functions with or without an accommodation.
This position can be based out of any Indiana University campus.
This position has the possibility for remote work eligibility, subject to change based on university policy and business needs.
For full-time staff employees, Indiana University offers a wide array of benefits including:
- Multiple plan options for medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Health Savings Account with generous IU contribution
- Life insurance, LTD, and AD&D options
- Base retirement plan contribution from IU, subject to vesting
- Additional supplemental retirement plan options
- Tuition benefit for IU classes
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Learn more about our benefits by reviewing our online Benefits Brochure.
Career Level: Career
Job Function: Information Technology
Job Family: Software/App Design, Dev & Eng
Click here to learn more about Indiana University's Job Framework.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, there may be differences in the working conditions as advertised in our standard job postings (e.g., the ability to travel from one campus to another, etc.). If you are invited for an interview, please discuss your questions or concerns regarding the working conditions at that time.
This posting is scheduled to close at 11:59 pm EST on the advertised Close Date. This posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University, but will remain open for a minimum of 5 business days. To guarantee full consideration, please submit your application within 5 business days of the Posted Date.
If you wish to include a cover letter, you may include it with your resume when uploading attachments.
New employees will be provided with information regarding Indiana University's COVID-19 vaccine policy, which includes the opportunity to request an exemption. To learn more, view our COVID-19 vaccine information page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment based on individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University's Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.
Campus Safety and Security
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, containing policy statements, crime and fire statistics for all Indiana University campuses, is available online. You may also request a physical copy by emailing IU Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org or by visiting IUPD.