Everyone thinks technology is about design, build, delivery, optimisation, KPIs. But that’s not the case. Technology is about change. Not the zeros and ones. But the people, the culture and the impact it has on the world. At Red Badger we believe you cannot build successful technology without simultaneously empowering your people to embrace it. This requires change at every level.
Red Badger was born and developed by Cain, Stu and Dave in 2010. They had a shared ambition to create a business that turned the traditional consulting model on its head: no sales team; no RFP processes, just great people doing great work that focused on quality, value and collaboration.
The best bit about Red Badger is, of course, the team. We’ve been around for 8+ years now and we are over 100 strong. We are really proud of our people; we support and learn a lot from each other; we work really hard but have fun doing it. We are a diverse group made up of 22 different nationalities, speaking 17 different languages.
We are based at Old Street in the heart of “tech city” and get thoroughly stuck in with the brilliant community around us. We run several meetups including the hugely popular React London, invite other groups to host their events in our office such as Lua London and Ladies Who Code and speak at events like Digital Shoreditch and LNUG.
*About the role:*
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our digital product delivery function. Red Badger delivers high-quality digital products using a lean delivery process and multidisciplinary, cross-functional teams.
The work we do for our clients involves dealing with the core complexities of their business and the technology we employ varies from project to project.
You are well on your way to having good knowledge and experience in one or more programming languages in both the frontend and backend of the stack, excited to dig deeper into the areas you already know as well as expand your skills into different languages, technologies and practices.
You are passionate about the craft of software development and contribute to technical and non-technical discussions that help shape the direction of digital product delivery. You are able to work independently, as well as collaboratively, on user stories within an agile delivery environment and are versed in modern software delivery practices. You care about creating quality software that meets the needs of our client’s vision and goals, in a thoughtfully pragmatic way.
As well as contributing to production-grade code bases, you will also be proactive in working directly with the client to help shape and move the project forward and, where required, helping to upskill and embed good development practices within existing, newly formed or client/Badger blended cross-functional teams.
* Working collaboratively in a cross-functional team of designers, engineers & testers
* Employ modern development practices to ship high-quality software
* Ability to adapt to new languages and frameworks
* Coach & support peers
*Agile Ways of Working:*
* Pair programming with other members of the team, including designers
* Own the delivery of user stories end-to-end working with agile principles
* Actively contribute to agile ceremonies
*Consulting with clients:*
* Proactively engage with clients to shape and move the project forward
* Upskilling and embedding modern software practices in client teams where necessary
It’d be great if you have experience with:
* Backend technologies (e.g. Node.js, Java, Go, Rust, etc.)
* Effective source-control management using Git
* Test automation following Test Driven Development practices including unit testing, API testing, and end-to-end testing
* Working with lean and agile practices (e.g. Kanban, Scrum, etc.)
* Collaborating in cross-functional teams
*It’d be amazing if you can also:*
* Work with virtualisation and orchestration tools (e.g. VMs, Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
* Build, maintain and debug CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Jenkins, CircleCI, Github Actions, etc.)
* Make use of modern UI data layer technologies (i.e. Relay, GraphQL, Apollo, etc.)
* Understand, debug and help contribute to evolving cloud based architectures (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
* Work with and debug data storage layer technologies (MySQL, Postgres, BigQuery etc.)
* Support a live system, respond to alerts, diagnose problems using logs and observability tooling, triage and resolve incidents
* Annual £2K training budget
* Generous Pension
* Group Life Insurance
* Income Replacement Benefit
* Critical Illness Cover
* Private Medical Insurance
* Your choice of hardware and mobile phone
* Matched (pre-tax) charity GAYE donations
* Open source contribution scheme
* Initial screening call with someone from the recruitment team
* Tech call with an engineer
* Coding challenge
* Final interview via google meet