This is a 100% remote position that can sit anywhere within the U.S.
We believe in the power and joy of learning
At Cengage Group, our employees have a direct impact in helping students around the world discover the power and joy of learning. We are bonded by our shared purpose – driving innovation that helps millions of learners improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.
Our culture values diversity, engagement, and discovery
Our business is driven by our strong culture, and we know that creating an inclusive and diverse workplace is absolutely essential to the success of our company and our learners, as well as our individual well-being. We recognize the value of diverse perspectives in everything we do, and strive to ensure employees of all levels and backgrounds feel empowered to voice their ideas and bring their authentic selves to work. We achieve these priorities through inclusive programs, benefits, and initiatives that are integrated into the fabric of how we work every day. To learn more, please see https://www.cengagegroup.com/about/inclusion-and-diversity/.
What you'll do here:
Are you ready to impact hundreds of engineers and millions of students?
Millions of students around the world use the products we create, and we take that responsibility seriously. Reliability. Resiliency. Scale. MTTD & MTTR. These are the concerns we measure and drive to improve.
At Cengage, we are harnessing the power of tech to build a future where all learners have the tools and confidence to achieve their goals. As a Cengage employee, you will blaze a new trail to transform the way people learn. Collaborating with the best of the best, you will feel challenged and inspired to do breakthrough work. With the support of our united team, there is no limit to what you can imagine, create and set in motion.
Are we right for you?
We set the bar higher by bringing our unique talents and point of view to the table every day. We are curious and comfortable with change and are willing to try new things to transform education. Most importantly, with everything we do, we put learning first.
You will report to the DevOps Manager and work as a team with our engineering teams.
Our team strongly values:
- Having an opinion and being able to verbally convey that opinion while also coming to a consensus
- Interpersonal skills are just as important as technical experience and proficiency.
- Thinking about and treating our engineering partners as users. This means building out wiki pages, sample implementations, APIs that make sense, and helping our partners implement the products we create.
- The ability to make a decision, popular or not, and back it up with clearly articulated rationale.
- Meeting our engineering teams where they are. We see these as opportunities to upskill our partners and to help them achieve their goals.
- We start with the assumption that someone somewhere has faced a similar issue, and we research it. We like learning from the experience of others.
What You'll Do Here:
As a Software Engineer on the DevOps team your role is hands on, you will be writing lots of code. You will be also be soliciting feedback and listening to your users (the engineering teams).
You are going to help to promote, on-board, and train the engineering teams to use the stuff you work on. We do not believe in Greenfield of Dreams (build it and they will come). Evangelism is the key part of this process.
- Collaborate with engineering teams to on-board to the services.
- Develop testable code used by the engineering teams.
- Learn how to run load testing and performance tuning for your applications.
- Learn Amazon Web Services (AWS) as you’ll be working on the application that deploys to AWS.
- Assist engineering teams in identifying and mitigating issues.
- Collaborate with multi-functional roles to communicate and align development efforts with the Operations roadmap.
- Assist in tool and technology evaluations.
- Work as a software engineer in a collaborative environment with passion, ownership and commitment.
- Continuously learn and grow with industry-leading practices, processes, and technologies
- Work with the AWS cloud on Linux based systems
- Grow and contribute to a Service Oriented Architecture in an enterprise environment
- Learn and champion software development best practices such as Continuous Integration and Performance testing
- Work with various Java development and continuous integration frameworks such as JUnit, Jenkins, git, Sonar and Gatling / JMeter
Skills you will need here:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 3+ years working on Core Java projects using and IDE such as Eclipse or IntelliJ
- Experience working with Java Web Application containers such as Tomcat
- Experience using source code control systems, such as Git, Stash, Subversion, or CVS and build/integration tools like Maven and Jenkins.
- Comfortable with complex algorithms and object-oriented programming
- Experience with one or more database systems, such as MySql, MongoDB, Cassandra
- Familiarity with Junit, Spock, and RESTful web services
- Familiarity with developing applications using Groovy
- Participates in open source projects
- Experience with a variety of software development applications, environments, and languages
- Experience with AWS or other cloud environments
Cengage Group's Higher Education business, Cengage, supports learning and student success by providing materials and digital solutions to faculty and students enrolled in two-year, four-year and vocational programs. We currently serve more than 10 million of the 18 million students in US higher ed. Setting a new standard of service for our customers, we deliver quality, easy-to-use course materials from textbooks and eBooks to courseware such as MindTap and WebAssign. In the US, we offer Cengage Unlimited and Cengage Unlimited for Institutions. We help instructors be better teachers, we help institutions solve problems and we empower students to leverage the power and joy of learning to transform lives.
Cengage Group is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, marital status, parental status, cultural background, organizational level, work styles, tenure and life experiences. Or for any other reason. You may view Cengage’s EEO/Affirmative Action Policy signed by CEO Michael Hansen and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notice by visiting their corresponding links.
Cengage Group is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or you may call us at +1 (617) 289-7917.
If you are a Colorado state resident, please email [email protected] to receive compensation information for this role. Please be sure to include this posting’s job ID in the subject line of the email to help ensure a timely response.
About Cengage Group
Cengage Group, a global education technology company serving millions of learners, provides affordable, quality digital products and services that equip students with the skills and competencies needed to be job ready. For more than 100 years, we have enabled the power and joy of learning with trusted, engaging content, and now, integrated digital platforms. We serve the higher education, workforce skills, secondary education, English language teaching and research markets worldwide. Through our scalable technology, including MindTap and Cengage Unlimited, we support all learners who seek to improve their lives and achieve their dreams through education.