Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position Qualifications:
POSITION TITLE: Software/Data engineer
STANDARDIZED JOB TITLE: Web Application development, Database development and analysis
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
The Data engineer is responsible for developing, managing the Web Application development, databases, and Data Engineering & Automation techniques in a Clinical /NGS Lab Laboratory for the Sonic Healthcare ThyroSeq Laboratory. This full FTE position is an on-site position at the SHUSA-ThyroSeq Laboratory (760 Westchester Avenue, Rye Brook, 10573).
1. Proficient in Python (3 years)
2. Knowledgeable with modern Front End Web Application development/Full Stack Development
a. Strong with DJANGO web framework & conventions (1+ years)
b. Experience with asynchronous server side processing such as Node.JS
c. Experience with HTTP/API error request handling
d. Strong HTML & CSS
3. Demonstrated experience in modern relational database design, development, and maintenance (ie: handling DB migrations)
4. Ability to work with Linux operating system in a HPC environment and familiarity with the SLURM scheduling.
5. Ability to work with containerized web application deployment (Docker, Kubernetes & helm) and web server maintenance
6. Work on ways to automate manual processes and input/output throughout the workflow
7. Work with instruments in the workflow, assist in connectivity and general troubleshooting
8. Acquire working knowledge of the in-house Laboratory Information System (LIS), assist in database setup and configuration.
9. Familiar with test driven programming, modular design, version control and unit testing/benchmarking
10. Ability to effectively communicate technical components to non-technical staff
11. Ability to work under pressure and time constraints
12. Interest in applying Data Engineering & Automation techniques in a Clinical /NGS Lab
13. Knowledgeable on best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management (Git), build processes, and operations.
14. Able to perform root cause analysis on production errors
15. Experience with Natural Language Processing or unstructured data cleansing
16. Experience with improving User Interactive components, maintenance and upgrades to existing applications
17. Assist in training of the incoming Data Analysis/Bioinformatics staff members, and educate molecular technical/genomics staff to use NGS data analysis pipelines and make appropriate analysis.
18. Maintain bioinformatics related clinical assay operations, implement updates, troubleshoot, and resolve daily bioinformatics tickets/issues/needs.
19. Perform other duties as assigned.
20. Maintain the diverse group’s harmony.
Department: Bioinformatics /ThyroSeq
Reports to: Director, Bioinformatics
POSITION(S) SUPERVISED: None
CAREER PATH OPPORTUNITIES: TBD
- Software/DB/programming languages: Python, DJANGO, SQL, HTML, CSS Node.JS and Shell scripting
- Operating systems, Linux, Windows
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Computer Science MS + working experience (3 years) or Bachelors in Computer Science with 4 years’ work experience in IT field
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
CBL Path, Inc.
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.