Office locations for this role include Bristol, Burton, Warrington, Leatherhead (based in Dorking office until July 2022) and Glasgow.
Salary Range Is 50,000pa To 70,000pa Depending On Experience.
Closing date is 6th June however we encourage early applications.
Do you want to help us create a safe and secure world through the delivery of transformational and trusted autonomous technologies?
We seek to develop novel autonomous systems for a better world, working with the latest sensors, deploying our technology to advanced computing platforms and experimenting with novel vehicles.
Our team works closely with customers and users, ensuring we are solving real problems in a way that can be deployed in real situations. This means the systems we develop must be safe, reliable and trustworthy.
We are looking to grow our team with intelligent, talented and motivated people to continue to deliver transformational technology.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (or an engineer with a similar, relevant background, for example Robotics or Autonomous Systems development) to join our Assured Autonomous Systems team.
This is an exciting and interesting opportunity affording the successful applicant the chance to influence our entire technology stack and software development approach, leading or informing everything from architecture design and technology selection, through to implementation approaches, pattern selection, and deployment.
We are therefore looking for a holistic engineer, who should be as comfortable setting the software direction of the team as a whole as they are writing high-quality code.
This is more than just a development position, it is an opportunity to work as part of a complex multidisciplinary team working on projects that often culminate in tangible, real-world demonstrations out in the field: think bespoke autonomous drones and ground vehicles conducting missions and demonstrations live in front of stakeholders, realised by the software and hardware developed by our team.
Our tech-stack varies project-by-project, but blends software across multiple disciplines in order to deliver systems, not just applications.
For example, a typical project might see us use:
- Python AI or autonomy algorithms deployed ‘at the edge’.
- Open-source unmanned vehicle tasking and telemetry solutions, for example PixHawk / PX4, MAVLink, or, ROS.
- A Mission Management application, written in C#, and accompanying UI, written in Typescript React, used to control the mission execution.
This project would typically be realised by a small team of 5-10 engineers of varying disciplines, in short timeframes ranging from a few months to a year.
While knowledge of all the listed technologies and languages is not essential, applicants should feel comfortable providing guidance on good development practices and approaches regardless of the specific language or hardware.
We’d love to tell you about some of the products and projects we’ve delivered why not ask us more in your interview.
Day to day, the role will include:
- Provision of software expertise across the software development lifecycle, from concept and design through to deployment and maintenance.
- Working alongside Product Owners, providing technical leadership on how best to implement backlog work items to realise our product and project aims.
- Mentoring junior team members, developing and instilling good practice within the group across a range of levels of software development experience.
- Contributing to project teams, applying and tailoring our products to deliver real-world projects accordingly.
- The chance to deliver products and projects in real-world trials, through demonstrations and exercises involving real hardware, end-users, and environments.
- The opportunity to ‘own’ our tech-stack: we have the flexibility to try new technologies and approaches if we believe they will add value.
To succeed in this role, you should offer most or all of the following:
- Expertise in clean coding practices, and developing, testing, and debugging software applications.
- Fluency in at least one object oriented language, preferably C#. Ability or an awareness in other languages will be viewed favourably.
- Experience architecting software solutions, identifying and selecting appropriate tools, languages and patterns to meet varying requirements.
- Experience developing production quality software across the entire Software Development Lifecycle.
- Experience with developing for a range of target hardware and operating systems.
- Experience deploying distributed applications using containerisation and orchestration.
- Enthusiasm to take ownership of technical projects, support junior staff, and contribute to our shared learning environment.
If you can offer anything else you think is relevant or would add to the role we’d love to hear about it, so please get in touch.
Due to the nature of the work that Frazer- Nash Consultancy undertake, candidates will be required to undergo pre-employment screening and must be able to satisfy clearance criteria for UK National Security Vetting.
- Happy To Talk Flexible Working
- Competitive salary: [ 50,000 – 70,000]
- 25 days' holiday entitlement
- Holiday sale and purchase scheme
- Company pension scheme
- Targeted professional development
- Life assurance
- Private healthcare membership
- Bonus scheme linked into company performance
- Paid membership fees to a professional institution
- Support in attaining professional membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season rail ticket loan