Romeo Power (NYSE: RMO) is on a mission to power the world’s transition to electrification. This is part of our bold vision to create a world where energy poverty no longer exists. As an energy technology leader delivering advanced electrification solutions for complex commercial vehicle applications, we seek to attract the most curious minds to help us drive real change and create a more sustainable future.
As a company, we’re continually innovating to challenge what’s possible. We believe in transparency and teamwork. With a long-term mindset, we take solution-driven approaches. We thrive on solving the hardest problems and we celebrate our successes as a team. We’re diverse, inclusive and share a passion for making access to clean energy universal as we drive towards a democratically energized world.
Founded in 2016, Romeo Power is headquartered in Cypress, California. Our suite of advanced hardware, combined with our innovative battery management system, delivers the safety, performance, reliability and configurability our customers need to succeed. Romeo Power’s 215,000 square-foot manufacturing facility brings its flexible design and development process inhouse to pack the most energy dense battery systems on the market.
Position Overview: this is NOT a remote role – relocation assistance is available
Romeo Power is a manufacturer of battery packs for electric vehicles. Our battery packs are equipped with an advanced in-house built battery management system (BMS) that is responsible for real-time monitoring and control of hundreds of lithium ion cells and maintaining them in a safe state. The BMS is an embedded system with numerous interconnected hardware and software components and is expected to operate reliably in safety critical applications. We are looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer who is proficient in C software development for low-level hardware drivers, networks stacks, and high-level algorithms on embedded platforms.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and develop software in C language for the BMS of Romeo Power.
- Perform software design, development, and verification tasks according to software requirements.
- Write simple, clean, maintainable, and testable C code for various software modules.
- Work on electronic boards for verifying correctness of written software as well as debugging and troubleshooting.
- Read electronic schematic diagrams to understand the specifications of target hardware platforms.
- Work closely with the systems and hardware teams to maximize efficiency in the software development process.
- Participate in peer code reviews.
- Create architecture and design documents for BMS software.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related fields, or equivalent in experience and proof of exceptional abilities.
- 5+ years of related professional experience.
- Proficient in C language.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electrical engineering principles (basic electronics, lab equipment, schematics).
- Demonstrated knowledge of software development processes (compile, debug, scm).
- Demonstrated knowledge of good engineering practices and procedures.
- Experience in writing drivers for digital serial interfaces such as CAN, SPI, I2C, and UART.
- Effective communicator and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong documenting and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task and think in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-driven and proactive.
- Owning assignments and taking full accountability.
- Knowledge of at least one scripting language such as Bash or Python.
- Familiarity with relevant automotive standards and experience in developing compliant software.
Romeo Power is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.