Cookpad is a tech company building a community platform that enables people to share recipe ideas and cooking tips. It’s a global platform used by on average around 100 million people every month across the world. Over 6 million recipes have been created by people in more than 70 countries.
Cookpad is dedicated to shaping the future of home cooking and food as a pillar for a sustainable future. Our mission is to make everyday cooking fun. We believe we can build a better world through encouraging even more people to cook. Everyday, home cooking has a profound impact on ourselves and the world around us: it makes us healthier and connects us with our friends and family. Through solving the problems related to everyday cooking, we help people live happier and healthier lives in an environment that is more sustainable. That’s how we want to impact the world.
Take a look at our website to learn more about Cookpad and our Medium blog to see what it is like to work at Cookpad. You can also find our engineering blog at sourcediving.com to read about some of the interesting engineering challenges we work on.
Cookpad is one of Japan's best known tech companies, listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, and was already highly successful before launching globally in 2013. With strong backing we have spent the last few years building the global platform and we are now in our commercialisation phase of the business.
As a Cookpad Engineer, you will join a very high performing global team to help deliver our product to end users throughout the world.
What will your typical week look like?
- The search platform team is helping to accelerate our next-generation search platform by providing internal services which empower engineers to independently develop, deploy, and monitor search applications. The team champions DevOps best practices, stays abreast of application and system architecture and provides self-service continuous integration (CI), continuous delivery (CD), and observability infrastructure.A typical day might include any of the following:
- Add a step to a CI pipeline to automate an element of code review, freeing team time to spend on other development work.
- Provide technical advice to a delivery team, collaborating to identify appropriate technologies and architecture, and empowering each team to own the solutions it builds.
- Implement a change in system or application architecture to remove a delivery bottleneck.
- Develop tooling to replace a frequent or manual operation with an automated GitOps solution.
- Identify a common architectural concern across our applications, and implement a Platform offering to solve this more generally (e.g. a Python package or a Helm chart).
- Review another team member’s pull request, offering ‘must’, ‘should’, ‘could’, and ‘would’ guidance that finds the sweet spot between fast delivery and perfect solution.
- Attend (or present to) one of our many special interest groups, sharing knowledge across disciplines.
- Identify opportunities to accelerate product delivery, through consultation with product delivery teams and a keen understanding of the end-to-end delivery process. Turn these insights into actionable improvements to the platform, while taking a platform-as-a-product perspective of the services and tools offered by the platform team.
- Providing honest and constructive feedback to each other, be it technical or non-technical.
Is this role for you?
Who you are:
- You have experience delivering software as a team effort.
- You love writing tested, reliable, and maintainable code, and you're either comfortable doing this with Python or you're keen to learn.
- You typically prefer working on backend and platform engineering problems, contributing to projects such as web APIs, data processing pipelines, or infrastructure-as-code.
- You’re comfortable teaching yourself about new technologies, and can share that knowledge back into the team.
- You are passionate about CD, and apply CD principles when building software, striving to put your work in the end-user's hands quickly and often.
- You like to have a positive impact on those around you, creating solutions which make lives easier and going out of your way to understand, train and support others.
- You'll have experience with, or are excited to learn about, some of the technologies we use at Cookpad, including Docker, Kubernetes, Kustomize, AWS, Terraform, Elasticsearch, and Kafka (but don’t let not having any of these stop you applying, especially if you have something else exciting or valuable to bring!).
- Receive training and mentoring that will give you the required tools to join an on-call rotation to handle incidents and maintain our service SLOs.
You’ll be excited to mix your own skills with those of our wider team members covering areas as diverse as product management, user experience design, data science, information retrieval, natural language processing, machine learning and more.
Over time, as your knowledge of our stack, of our users and of our team grows, you may find you spend more time collaborating with others to imagine great solutions that one person cannot build alone, or you may continue to focus on being a head-down developer contributing to these kinds of solutions. Either way we’ll work with you to find the path that’s right for you and that maximises the impact you can have on our mission.
The above description of the role is not finite, please apply even if you don’t think you fit all the requirements. We are looking for people who show promise, are eager to learn and grow and connect with our mission.
Why join Cookpad?
Cookpad teams are geographically dispersed with a common purpose and we are proud that the team in our Bristol office comprises over 30 different nationalities.
Valuing our team means we offer competitive salaries and benefits you’d expect from a company wanting great people, including generous employer pension contributions and cycle to work schemes. We offer peace of mind with group income protection, life assurance and private medical insurance.
We also do a few things you might not expect. We keep the team healthy with fresh produce from local suppliers and delicious edible gifts from visiting team members. We have a fully stocked large kitchen space where our team comes together to cook and share everyday cooking ideas.
We are central to transport hubs and bike routes which helps with flexible working and all-important downtime with family and friends.
Finally the physical space we’ve created at our global offices in Bristol is an amazing, innovative work environment that reflects what we value, who we are and what we do.
What happens next?
We’re building a global company with a global team that’s full of world-class talent. Our hiring process is designed to let your talent shine and for us to get to know each other so we know we’re the right fit.
Our engineering interview process consists of the following stages
- Chat with someone from our HR Team to help us get to know you better.
- Take-home technical test. This is designed to understand how you think and is based on the kinds of tasks you might work on day to day at Cookpad. (No algorithms on whiteboards here!)
- Face to face technical interview with developers from the same engineering discipline as you, this generally involves pairing on a small task, discussing a problem and collaborating on a solution, or discussing your take home technical test in more depth.
- Interview with the Product Manager and Lead Engineer on the team you are applying for.
- Interview with the Managing Director and/or Head of Engineering.
We aim to run through these stages quickly and typically you can expect a timeframe of between 2 and 3 weeks to complete the process.
Please apply using the link below. As well as your CV, we’d like to hear why you’re interested in the role and how your skills and experience will help you contribute to the team. We will let you know if we’d like to talk with you and during Covid most interviews are via video link.
The Cookpad team is made up of an incredible, diverse range of people. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
When applying for a job with Cookpad, we will collect personal data about you. We use that personal data for recruitment and hiring related activities, including analysis of those activities. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of the General EU Data Protection Regulation and UK GDPR as necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
- ID: E447234F81
- Department: Engineering
- Type: full time