DWP. Digital with Purpose.
- Are you an experienced software engineer?
- Experience leading multiple engineering teams to deliver complex, high value systems?
- Are you an engaging and inspiring leader?
- Do you want to help shape the DWP's future?
If so, you might be the perfect fit for this important role in the digital transformation of the UK's largest government department.
The scale of our engineering challenge is massive too. We have 1bn lines of code in over 12000 code repos and 90+ programming languages. We run 294 days' worth of automated testing every day. Our APIs receive 173 million requests, and we spin up 280,000 AWS servers every month.
Development. Work. Payments.
You'll work on DWP's Citizen Information projects. Citizen Information maintains and protects the personal records of 110 million citizens.
We're looking for someone who is an expert in the field, skilled in multiple disciplines, a role model in software craft with proven experience in the strategic design, development and support of software products.
You're a passionate Software Engineering leader, who can enable our expanding software teams to deliver high-quality, scalable, and secure digital services.
You'll be shaping solutions that make effective use of modern cloud-native technology such as Kubernetes, containerisation, Kafka & AWS, working with technical architects, product owners and other stakeholders.
You will emphasise standards alignment, quality, robustness, scalability and supportability within our digital products. And you'll help our engineering community become bigger and better, and to meet your high standards.
What skills knowledge and experience do you need to show us in your application?
- Proficient in multiple programming languages and technology frameworks.
- Very strong Java or NodeJS skills.
- Can influence technical evolution within the organisation.
- Ability to continuously assess and implement the latest Software Engineer best practices, principles and processes.
- Able to design and lead strategies for building reusable libraries and services.
- Excellent communicator able to collaborate with large teams of Software Engineers and key technical decision makers to define the strategic vision for our products.
- Highly experienced in building cloud native digital solutions.
- Deep knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
Details. Wages. Perks.
Location: You'll join us in our digital hub in Newcastle. We're just a really short walk from Longbenton Metro station
We also all have the tech, tools and culture to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
Pay: We offer competitive pay up to £77,933, and a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of 27.9%. For a starting salary of £70k that would be over £19,500 in your pension pot, from us, each year.
Benefits: You'll also get a generous leave package starting at 26 days (25 days annual leave plus a day for the Queen's Birthday) and rising to 31, plus the ability to take extra days using flexi leave.
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for further information and to start an application on Civil Service Jobs.