At the ICS, we are driven to make a difference, solve complex problems, drive change and innovate using data science. We see the world through the simple lens of Future Takers and Future Makers. Future Takers have a ‘we don’t need to change’ mindset. Future Makers are the holy grail of leaders; they are bold and create a vision for the future.
We help organisations leap ahead in analytics by combining a diverse network of highly experienced senior leaders, entrepreneurs, data scientists and designers while utilising state of the art tools and innovative methods.
Are you amazing at solving complex problems, driven to connect-the-dots, impassioned to make a difference and want to be recognised as a Future Maker?
We are currently hiring a lead data scientist to play an instrumental role in the ongoing success of the Institute of Clever Stuff and lead our ICS Labs by driving our data science capability; supporting sales and business development; the delivery of our work with clients; and, helping us to build a great development team who are energised and excited about the journey we are on.
You’ll be joining a fast-growing, market-leading data science and innovation consultancy, with the opportunity to shape your own role and design a path that grows with the organisation. You are a self-starter, a proactive problem-solver and someone who likes to turn their hand to many things. You get out of bed in the morning with the desire to experiment, excite others and make a difference using data science and innovation.
We are building our leadership team around great people, and we recognise the importance of flexibility in accommodating and supporting the right candidate.
Key responsibilities include:
- Leading on our infrastructure, data, methods and team to inform everything from our strategy to results
- Building an outstanding data-driven culture, that experiments, plays and gets results
- Creating a strong data, insight and experimentation understanding of start-up to scale-up activities, collaborating with internal and external data science professionals to solve the most complex problems at pace and drive results that delight
- Implementing a highly visual and commercial approach when delivering data science projects that engages and challenges the thinking of non-technical audiences.
- Driving our value chain in analytics from rapid in-day experiments, through to industrialised data science productsWorking as a self-starter and hands-on technical specialist and taking ownership of shipping code into production
- Analysing data, building and testing machine learning algorithms
- Challenging how we work and applying an ethical lens to what we do and how we measure impact
- Managed projects and been responsible for timelines, deliverables, and budget. You have experience end-to-end from conception/defining the project to deliver and documentation.
- Built and led a data science team and been responsible for individuals career development and progression
- Led or been involved in delivery of successful sales
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to tell a story around data science
- Delivered across the full range of research focused data science, to building enterprise data science solutions
- Able to be a technical authority for the team
- Exceptional time management and organisational skills, and keeping many balls in the air
- Ability to handle ambiguity and be comfortable with uncertainty
- Confident in asking for help and providing challenge & feedback to others
- Interested in people and building a culture that nurtures talent
- Extensive senior management experience up to the C-level
- Able to play a meaningful role in sales and business development
- Able to roll their sleeves up and get involved in delivery too.
Technical must haves
Comfortable being hands-on, with a wide range of techniques under your belt and experience applying them in a commercial setting. More specifically, you've been a hands-on data scientist for 7+ years and have experience solving problems in some areas like:
- Reinforced learning
- Deep learning
- The 'classic' supervised and unsupervised approaches like (logistic) regression or clustering
- Multi-variate testing
- Strong SQL and Python (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn, matplotlib, shap, …)
- Experience with any of the major cloud computing providers: AWS, GCP, Azure
- Git/Github for version control
Nice to haves
- MSc in any STEM subject
- Range of different sector experiences
- Aware of the latest industry trends and how to apply them. Ideally you have published papers, blogs and/or have been a speaker in conferences and summits within the AI/DS space.
- Experience in a ‘Centre of Excellence’, an analytics hub or a large team where you were the go-to technical expert.
- Experience developing a product and working with an agile setting
- Experience working with different profiles: Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Software Developers…
Remuneration and benefits
- A total cash package of up to £150,000 depending on experience and including a discretionary bonus of up to 25% pa based on a combination of company and exceptional personal performance
- 25 days annual leave increasing by one day for every full year of service to a maximum of 30 days
- Private Medical Insurance, Life Assurance and Group Personal Pension Scheme
- We have recently established a HMRC approved Enterprise Management Incentive (EMI) scheme as a way of recognising and rewarding the contribution that colleagues can make to growth and the continued success of the ICS on our journey together. Everyone in the ICS has the opportunity to participate in the scheme and any grant would be made in accordance with the scheme rules and subject to you satisfying the relevant criteria. For illustrative purposes, this could be worth up to £288,000 and we are more than happy to explain how this comes together as we progress through the process.
Location and flexibility
As the world settles into new working patterns post-Covid, we will need to maintain flexibility in how we work. For an organisation like the ICS, this will require us to work in a way that responds to the needs of our client. This is likely to include a balance of home working, office working and travel.
Our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
The Institute of Clever Stuff is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We want our commitment to embracing diversity and fostering an inclusive environment to stand us apart – being a place where colleagues feel comfortable to bring their whole selves to work.
If reading any part of this advert excites you, get in touch with us!