The RoleWe’re looking for an individual who is excited by the opportunity to help grow our leading forecasting and analysis products using data science, AI and machine learning. As our Data Science Lead, you will head up a new team that will create a data science capability at the heart of our B2B business, building the services that our clients need to continuously consume our quantitative economic insights and products, whilst ensuring best practice and innovation of our systems.
Introduction to The EIU
The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) is a world leader in global business intelligence. We help businesses, the financial sector and governments to understand how the world is changing and how that creates opportunities to be seized and risks to be managed.
At our heart is a 50 year forward look, a global forecast of the majority of the world’s economies, we seek to analyse the future and deliver that insight through multiple channels and insights, allowing our clients to take better trading, investment and policy decisions.
We’re changing, embedding alternate data sources such as GPS and satellite data into our forecasting, products will increasingly be tailored to clients, supported by some of the most innovative data in the market. A highly collaborative team of Product Managers, Data Science, Customer Experience and Product Engineering is focusing on creating business and customer value with real-time analytics alongside our traditional products.
How you will contribute:
Don’t feel you have to tick every box, the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist. If you think you can do most of what we are looking for, you could be exactly what we need!
- Build an in-house data science capability, featuring best practices for statistical data modelling, analysis, and machine learning; data exploration and reporting tools; and processes that allow your data team to work effectively and efficiently.
- Manage the optimisation and modernisation of our existing workflows and supporting toolsets, ensuring standards for programming tools and techniques are implemented to industry best practice.
- Work with colleagues to identify business problems and liaise with the relevant teams to prioritise and resolve these through developing realistic, data-driven strategies.
- Create a community of practice around data within the EIU and ensure closer collaboration with Data Science functions across The Economist Group.
- Coach, motivate and develop globally distributed team members through their career track in an environment of continuous improvement, modern technologies and techniques.
- Work within, cross-functional product teams and encourage a DevOps culture and Continuous Delivery process.
Experience, skills and professional attributes
The ideal skills for this role include:
- Strong experience in data science and analytics within an economic context
- Experience of leading data science, data discovery and machine learning projects
- Experience in setting up data science environments and best practice around these projects, specifically in cloud environments
- Experience in creating statistical– and preferably economic — models, data exploration, data visualisation and data mining
- Background in working with and developing business intelligence services in the B2B space
- Demonstrable experience in managing, mentoring, and coaching globally-distributed teams of economists, statisticians, data scientists and analysts
- Demonstrable influencing skills at senior levels, driving impactful change across an organisation
- Excellent communication skills, and ability to work across multiple teams and levels within the organisation to set the strategic direction for data
- Experience of overseeing and working in modern data architectures, particularly cloud-based: managing risks and data security
- Strong understanding of the latest statistical, mathematical or predictive modelling techniques and examples of applying the right approach to answer business questions
- Knowledge of Python and SQL (or other programming languages) is a plus
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.