What you’ll be doingThe successful candidate will lead our Data Engineering and Platform team. This team develops and evolves a sector leading, modern, data platform that enables development teams downstream to develop ground-breaking data science and data products. The team is also the centre of excellence for data engineering in the organisation.Leading a team of data engineers, the successful candidate will be joining this data engineering function and working alongside data scientists, delivery leads and other disciplines on data acquisition, leading edge platforms and development environments. They will be working on stimulating technical challenges to support transformation towards a data-driven business.The right candidate will help us build our data engineering capability across the organisation by supporting our strategic & technical direction, governance, and recruitment pipelines. They will also work with external partners, and colleagues across the industry to open the door to future collaborations and innovation.As a leader, the successful candidate will develop and foster a close-knit and skilled team. This includes building individual development roadmaps with each team member, identifying external resource needs and navigating resourcing in the most cost-effective and resilient way.As an advocate of Data Engineering across departments and teams, you will bring awareness of data engineering and platform opportunities and capabilities to those we work with, as we work together to roll out our hub-and-spoke model for data.We’re looking for you to do
- Leading the development and operation of our Data Platform and environments
- Leading multiple projects and working collaboratively across the business
- Leading, Growing and managing Data Engineering teams and skills.
- Negotiating with partners and monitoring the technical quality of Data Engineering work being delivered.
- Leading in the design of data platform architecture, data engineering, presentation layers
- Owning and communicating the Data Engineering strategy for the organisation.
What Skills are we looking for?
- Proven experience in leading and growing successful data engineering teams
- Expert with substantial experience in Databricks and Azure
- Experience working with agile delivery frameworks
- Strong software delivery methods and knowledge
- Commercial experience as a data engineer working on a wide variety of projects
- Prior creation and implementation of best practices for data platforms and data lakes
- Evidence of strategic thinking and vision for use of data in a commercial setting
What’s in it for you?Our competitive salary & package includes a generous bonus scheme, an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. We’re proud of the positive ways of working we have adopted during the pandemic. We want to create a more flexible and dynamic environment so all our colleagues can thrive. For our office-based roles we’re moving to a hybrid approach where we’ll provide options around working from our offices, our operational sites and home dependent on role/team/individual. This will be discussed during the assessment process.Thames Water is a unique, rewarding, and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements, and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader.Click here to find out more about?working at Thames Water.Who are we?Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to our 15 million customers by supplying 2.6 billion litres of water through 32,000 km’s of pipes, to keep taps flowing and toilets flushing. We are an essential service and have operated throughout the Covid19 pandemic. At Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open.