We are currently looking for talented and enthusiastic researchers as we embark on our next set of exciting projects. You will be exposed to cutting-edge tools and technologies. Your primary responsibilities will be to carry out fundamental and applied research into Artificial Intelligence (AI) and to build new AI systems. While you will need to be a skilled Software Engineer to carry out your work, this is not a pure Software Engineering role and will also require the ability to research and develop new solutions to complex problems.
ILASP specialises in developing logic-based machine learning systems. Compared to other forms of machine learning, the main advantage of logic-based systems is that the learned concepts are explainable. We currently hold research contracts both with the UK military and with UK universities, in which we are leading research into logic-based machine learning and its applications.
Our projects are diverse in nature, both in terms of their domains and in terms of the tools being used. Successful applicants will therefore be expected to adapt and continually learn and apply new skills.
You will be given your own self-contained research projects, which will usually form part of a wider research contract. Your responsibilities will include:
· Building and developing new AI systems.
· Participating in meetings and demonstrations with customers.
· Ensuring that deadlines for the deliverables of your projects are met.
What we are looking for:
Logic-based Machine Learning is a specialised area, and we do not necessarily expect previous experience in this area; much more important is your willingness to learn!
We expect successful applicants to:
· Have a degree in Computer Science or something similar;
· Have a good understanding of first-order logic;
· Be curious, and enjoy solving problems;
· Be willing to continually learn new skills on the job;
· Be able to work independently;
· Be able to communicate their work effectively, both internally and to customers;
· Be a skilled programmer. The languages you will use will depend on the project you are working on;
· Read and understand the relevant scientific literature and implement methods described in papers.
In addition to the above, the following skills would be highly advantageous:
· Logic Programming. Specifically, we work with Answer Set Programming (ASP);
· Experience of Machine Learning;
· An understanding of Probability;
· Knowledge of multi-agent systems.
We do not expect you to have knowledge of all of the above, and if you are successful in your application we will select a suitable first project for you to work on based on your prior experience.
Initially, while you are training, we will require you to be present in our Grantham office most days. The length of this training period will be dependent on your prior experience and on your performance, but we expect it to be around a month.
After your initial training period, we will require you to be in the office for weekly face-to-face meetings and to travel to meet with customers as necessary. Other than that, as the nature of your work will be largely independent, providing you work effectively from home, you will be free to do so.
We are currently hiring researchers to work on our contracts with the UK military. Due to the nature of the projects that you will be working on, the customer requires that this role is only open to UK Nationals. You must also be willing to undergo government security vetting and maintain appropriate security clearance. For further details of what is required please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.