We are looking for a number of enthusiastic software engineers to join our Reach Solutions Workshop team. The team is tasked with creating new and innovative products, which can build on our existing commercial digital platforms (such as our award-winning Mantis suite of contextual publishing and advertising tools) or expand our digital product range into new B2B and B2C spheres.
Who we are
Reach PLC is the UK's largest commercial news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, OK! Magazine, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles. Every day our newsbrands – national and regional, in print and online – reach millions of people up and down the country.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5.8 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 26 billion page views per year. Combined, we have a total monthly readership of 47 million people.
Reach Solutions is the commercial side of the business, generating revenues from advertising, partnerships, events and other digital and physical products.
You will be part of a new team within the Reach Solutions development group designing, building and optimising new digital commercial products.
We test and use our digital products within Reach, across our own large network of sites, and also market and integrate them with external customer platforms. You will be involved from initial design, through POC to full build, delivery and service management, working with internal stakeholders and external customer teams.
You will work closely with the Tech Leads and Product Owners making sure all we build meets our standards and that we're using the most appropriate tech and practices.
You will be writing application code (frontend components, APIs and backend services) and code to provision and manage the infrastructure it runs on. We use multiple cloud platforms to host our applications (including IBM Cloud and AWS), using their cloud services and, increasingly, serverless infrastructure.
You will be flexible and keen to improve and expand your skills, learning about new programming languages, frameworks and platforms where necessary. One day you might be building a frontend UI for a dashboard or client component, the next you might be creating a new scalable SAAS API, creating a backend application service or researching how to create a new machine learning model for text, image or video analysis.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for experienced Engineers to join our Solutions Workshop team.
Ideally you'll have been building scalable B2B and B2C products and services on cloud platforms and integrating these with customer's systems; be happy to work on your own initiative, yet at the same time play an important role in ensuring the success of the team.
We are looking for people who care deeply about the code they write, while at the same time are able to bridge the gap between the technical and business stakeholders, understanding the commercial drivers and KPIs the products should meet.
You'll be educated to degree level (preferably CompSci/Maths/Sciences), or alternatively will have demonstrable equivalent commercial development experience.
A selection of the technologies we currently use are listed below and we'd hope you have experience of some of them, but above all else we are looking for developers who can demonstrate a solid well-considered approach to software engineering and testing, and take pride in the work they do.
Technologies we use include:
- IBM Cloud and AWS for application services, Google Cloud for some data services.
- IBM Watson Natural Language/Translation/Machine Learning services.
- Relational databases (e.g PostgreSQL, MySql)
- Elastic Search
- Kafka & Kinesis/DynamoDB streams
- Lambda/Cloud Functions
- Cloud Foundry application platform
- S3/Cloud Storage
- Docker containers
- CDN services (e.g Akamai, Cloudfront)
- API gateway services
- Drone CI and IBM Continuous Delivery platforms
- Observability tools (log and service monitoring)
- Unit and integration testing (Karma, Jest, Cypress)
- Help to save for your retirement– join our pension scheme and we'll match contributions up to 6%
- 25 days' holiday per yearwhen you join. After three, five and ten years' service with Reach, you'll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday
- Giving back day– an additional day's leave each year to support a cause close to your heart
- Flexibility – This role will be split between 'Home and Hub' giving you more flexibility to balance home and life and we'll support you with your home set-up. The majority of time will be working from home, but you'll need to be able to come to the office when required for face to face team or customer meetings.
- Enhanced family leave– including maternity, paternity and adoption – and you'll be eligible after just six months' employment
- Private Healthcare Cash Plan– free health cash plan so you can claim back cash for a range of medical expenses
A “share” in our future
- As one of theUK's top 50 Inclusive Employerseveryone's invited to join our events, programmes and networks to celebrate diversity and build an environment where all our people can thrive
- Wellbeing support– including a 24/7 assistance programme for you and your family, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace and access to free mental health coaching through Sanctus
- We are aFTSE 250 Company, and also a member of the30% Club, a global campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board and senior management
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.