Ofcom is the regulator for the communications services that we depend upon in the modern world. We make sure people get the best from broadband, telephone and mobile services. We oversee the universal postal service and manage the radio-spectrum used by wireless devices and have regulatory powers over TV and radio.
Data is central to Ofcom’s work. We use data from a wide range of sources to understand the dynamics of the sectors we regulate and to provide key insights to inform policy decisions. In addition to existing regulatory responsibilities, there will be exciting opportunities to contribute to Ofcom’s new duties in relation to the regulation of Online Harms. It is expected that this new area of work will expand the scope of data-driven activities at Ofcom in terms of the variety and volume of data, as well as the range of analysis we do. To ensure that Ofcom has the appropriate data capabilities to undertake the analysis effectively, ICT has created a new role for an Data Solutions Architect.
Purpose of the Role
The Data Solutions Architect works closely with ICT and the Data Innovation Hub. You will architect, design, implement and oversee the operations of data solutions that empower data professionals to efficiently and effectively deliver their work.
Candidates will exhibit critical thinking skills, the ability to synthesize complex problems, and have relevant skills and experience for enabling the transformation of data to create solutions that add value to a myriad of business requirements. You must have a deep understanding of the full data lifecycle and the role that high-quality data plays across applications, machine learning, business analytics, and reporting.
You will lead the design and development of solution architectures in response to business requirements. This includes identifying and evaluating alternative architectures, their trade-offs in cost, performance and scalability. And ensuring that the relevant technical strategies, policies, standards and practices (including security) are applied correctly. The end to end solution will be fit for purpose – i.e. meet the needs of business, the agreed requirements, and support the strategic direction of Ofcom.
Work with IT teams, business analysts and data analytics teams to understand data consumers’ needs and develop solutions.
By maintaining your knowledge of emerging trends in data usage, tools and analysis techniques you will support our on-going development activities and continually promote data innovation as a means to achieve the business outcomes for specific Groups, and Ofcom.
You will need to be self-motivated, an effective communicator and have a collaborative delivery approach. You will work in a collaborative cross-functional environment and interact with the full spectrum of colleagues (data engineers, data analysts, data scientists, operational support and policy makers), and you will need to inform and influence senior managers.
Requirements of the Role
- Build strong relationships with colleagues across the business, understanding their motivations behind projects and own technical activities to translate business requirements (both functional and non-functional) into a solution. Ensuring the required business value is delivered.
- Fostering a customer centric approach to ensure delivery of business value and an iterative approach that responds to feedback and changing needs. Perform deep dives into technical areas to solve a specific solution or design challenges. Using trials or POCs to prove or discount an approach, to critic your own design.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that the solutions you help deliver form an integral part of the ICT estate and align with the wider reference architecture and domain roadmaps.
- Manage stakeholder expectations and be flexible, working on many different projects and topics at the same time period. Manage proactive and reactive communication. Facilitate difficult discussions within the team or with diverse senior stakeholders and external / 3rd parties as necessary.
- Provide documentation of solutions detailing the business, data, application and technology layers.
- Work with Data Engineers to design solutions and define data pipelines and data lakes, covering data ingestion, ETL or ELT, and the cataloguing of data.
- Takes overall responsibility for planning effective data storage, cost, security, quality, sharing, availability, retention and publishing within the organisation. Develops analytics policy, standards and guidelines
- Ensuring successful transitions for solutions into production ensuring production support have the necessary knowledge and documentation to support the service.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Robust Data and Technical/Solutions Architecture skills – sets direction for and possesses a deep understanding of architecture and strategies which integrate with industry trends e.g. TOGAF
- Experience in designing end-to-end solutions and defining design pattern leveraging on cloud-based technologies and other emerging technologies.
- Experience of DevOps/ DataOps methods in development of data solutions to ensure pipelines and processes can be automated and controlled.
- Experience of working closely with Data Professionals (E.g. Data Scientists and Data Analysts) to understanding their needs.
- Experience with digital integration methodologies . (e.g. via APIs) with external vendors to share data between organizations
- Ability to adapt new technologies and learn quickly to support strategic programs
- Experience of building and maintaining good working relationships with colleagues at all levels of an organization
- Experience of working with external technology supplier and service providers to deliver business solutions
Other Essential Skills
- Extensive experience with Cloud based data and analytical initiatives utilising Azure, AWS, Google Cloud or similar cloud services
- Experience in designing and building solutions in the area of Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning and high-performance databases in collaboration with domain SMEs
- Experience with modern data stacks, analytical tools and data engineering/science environments/frameworks such as : Spark pySpark, SQL, Azure Data Factory (and SSIS), Databricks, Power BI, Notebooks etc.
- Broad enterprise platforms and systems experience and refactoring techniques and methodologies
Ofcom has aligned key skills required for this role to the industry standard Skills Framework for Information Age (SFIA) where appropriate. It is assumed that candidates are competent in all skill levels lower than required SFIA Level for this role. (Please refer to the SFIA 7 Skills Framework for more detail].
Enterprise and business architecture STPL – (Level – 5)
Solution architecture ARCH – (Level – 5)
Requirements definition and management REQM – (Level – 5)
Database design DBDS – (Level – 5)
Analytics INAN – (Level – 4)
Emerging Technology Monitoring (EMRG) – (Level – 4)
Relationship Management RLMT – (Level – 5)
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in computer science, information technology, software engineering, data science or other equivalent qualifications in a related field
Diversity and Inclusion
Ofcom is a forward-thinking, inclusive employer and recognises the value of diversity to truly “make communications work for everyone”. Here at Ofcom, our vision is to ensure people are part of an environment when they can truly strive and be themselves, therefore we aim to recruit from the widest pool of candidates possible – irrespective of social background, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender or disability. We are an organisation that strives to be truly representative of the whole of the UK and our aim is to be an employer of choice for everyone.
We champion flexible working and so wherever possible we support flexible working patterns including job shares.
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to interview disabled applicants who meets the minimum selection criteria of the role as outlined in the job specification, if applicants would like to be considered under this scheme. We pride ourselves on ensuring all candidates are treated fairly throughout the application and selection process including making our process as accessible as possible. Should you require any adjustments to be made, please do contact us directly at email@example.com
As a Disability Confident employer, we guarantee to interview disabled applicants who meets the minimum selection criteria of the role as outlined in the job specification, if applicants would like to be considered under this scheme. Interviews may take a range of forms including video, 121 and panel interviews. We pride ourselves on ensuring all candidates are treated fairly throughout the application and selection process including making our process as accessible as possible. Should you require any adjustments to be made, please do contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ID: 2021-2168
- Location(s): UK-London, Edinburgh and Manchester
- Group: Corporate
- Salary Details : Competitive
- Job Type: Full or Part Time – Permanent (including flexible working arrangements)
- Job Level: Senior Associate
- Closing Date: 31/01/2022