Canada Life UK looks after the retirement, investment and protection needs of individuals, families and companies. We help to build better futures for our customers, our intermediaries and our employees by operating as a modern, agile and welcoming organisation.
Part of our parent company Great-West Lifeco, Canada Life UK has operated in the United Kingdom since 1903. We have hundreds of respected and supported employees committed to doing the right thing for our customers and colleagues.
Canada Life UK is transforming to create a more customer-focused business by providing our customers with expertise on financial and tax planning, offering home finance and annuities propositions, and providing collective fund solutions to third party customers.
We have a great opportunity for an enthusiastic Data Engineer. This role will work with a small team of specialists delivering a modern data platform to underpin the company's growth through digital services. You'll have the opportunity to make a difference with your skills and you'll mentor team members to help them develop.
You will be working collaboratively to deliver strategic data driven initiatives. You will play a lead role in designing and building data pipelines and enabling the technologies to create efficient data flows required by various data models of both transactional and analytics solutions in a wide variety of areas across the business.
This role requires a deep understanding of Cloud (Azure) services with hands-on implementation experience in batch and streaming architectures and Software Engineering best practices. You must have experience of working in an Agile Continuous Integration environment and be focused on quality of implementation.
What you'll do
- To design, develop and deploy data applications to ingest, transform, and store data to be used in Machine Learning Models and reporting
- To design, develop and deploy production-grade data pipelines to feed data to our data platform.
- To write and deploy ETL applications and scripts across a range of data sources and stores
- To analyse and improve efficiency, scalability, reliability and performance of our Data platforms and systems infrastructure
- To practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing efficient, pragmatic code)
- To manage and administer the Data and analytical systems as required, supporting various Machine Learning/Analytical use-cases.
- To translate business & analytics requirements into technical solutions, actively contributing to company standards
- Knowledge and hands-on experience of data, databases, and data technologies including AI, ML, ETL, BI
- Strong experience of Data Warehouses/ Data Marts with good understanding of Data Models
- Knowledge of SSIS & SQL – either Oracle or SQL Server
- Experience of automation using Python or another scripting language
- Experience of DevOps process and deployment pipelines with exposure to tools such as Azure DevOps, Jenkins, Git Repository or equivalent tool.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills – ability to explain complex IT applications in simple user-friendly language
- Excellent problem-solving skills, and ability to deliver effective solutions;
- Excellent team player, collaborative, and supportive
- Ability to multitask while maintaining a high level of attention to detail. A solution driven, self-starter with commitment and follow through
- Strong stakeholder management and communications skills, both written and verbal
- Possesses a flexible attitude and is willing to work with a range of technologies and languages
- A constant learner, actively interested in updating skill sets and knowledge, following trends in the Data community
- Qualification in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline.
What you'll like about working here
As a Canada Life UK colleague, you'll receive a competitive salary and comprehensive reward package including income protection, private medical insurance and life assurance, along with a generous pension and bonus scheme. You'll also receive the support you need with your personal and professional development.
Diversity and inclusion
Canada Life is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Our role as an employer of choice is to provide the right environment for talented people to do their best work, by respecting, understanding and valuing individual differences
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.