The future will not be televised. It will be streamed. Want to code it?Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers worldwide while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV and continues to innovate and lead the industry. While we are well-positioned to help shape the future of television and streaming media worldwide, continued success stems from experienced software engineers like you developing core features for the Roku platform.
Our new Senior Software Engineer will be contributing extensively to our embedded UI development and underlying architecture. To be successful, you’ll need extensive experience with embedded Linux, C++ libraries/frameworks, development of tools, scripting languages, and the integration of third-party code. A proven track record of shipping high-quality software on embedded platforms is essential. This is a great role for a senior professional who enjoys a high level of visibility and thrives on great business impact.
The features and performance improvements you implement directly impact millions of users every day. This is a great role for an experienced professional who has innovative ideas for complex problems and can translate these ideas into ultra-reliable software.
What you’ll be doing
- Work closely with Product Development, platform services, and release management teams to contribute to the evolution of the Roku OS
- Integrate third-party C++ libraries
- Build tools as needed to support platform portability
- Write software that can be easily ported to new or existing platforms
- Demonstrate excellence in C++ development and deliver high-performance, ultra-reliable software
- Work both independently and in small groups to deliver new features and functionality on-time
- Demonstrate the ability to dig deep to find solutions to challenging problems affecting our users
We’re excited if you have
- 5+ years of relevant software development experience
- Extensive programming experience with C++ and Embedded Linux
- Ability to work in both user and kernel space
- In-depth understanding of Linux, tools, libraries, and open source development
- Understanding of API design considerations and tradeoffs
- Familiarity with tools and libraries such as Boost, PlayReady, ALSA, DIAL a plus
- Experience with memory management and multi-threaded development
- Experience with OpenGL and DirectFB
- Media / Video knowledge such as codecs, media streaming, etc. would also be a plus
- Ideally, embedded and consumer electronics experience
- Ability to accurately estimate software tasks and work to schedule
- College degree in Computer Science or equivalent engineering experience
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Hear what our software leadership has to say #LI-MP1