Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
We are a Fortune 5 company ranked #22 on the Forbes best places for remote workers to grow careers.
We are working in a highly innovative area transforming the Engineering Platform with a focus on distributed tracing and observability. This Lead Software Engineer role will be accountable for delivery and execution of the platform architecture they define. The Lead Engineer will also act in a customer-facing capacity, focusing on building automation to reduce customer friction.
What experience will set candidates apart from one another? We are looking for very talented engineers with a broad set of skills. We want individuals who have worked with open-source observability tools such as Prometheus, OpenTelemetry, Cortex, and Thanos, as well as with Kubernetes. We are building a scalable, distributed observability platform offering for the enterprise using open-source tools and technologies.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and continuously improve software
- Share deep engineering knowledge with engineering team to aide in skill growth
- Partner with product manager to drive what is technically possible and assists in dependency management to deliver incremental value to our customers frequently and with high quality
- Lead a cohesive technical strategy across the platform to ensure the enterprise remains an industry competitor
- Accountable for rapid, reliable and repeated delivery of quality platform solutions to the enterprise
- Minimizing human touchpoints in complex flows and processes
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 3+ years of work experience in modern software engineering
- 1+ years of work experience specific to Cloud Development, tracing platforms and Open Telemetry
- 1+ years working with Go, Python, Java, or C++
- 1+ years working with Docker/Kubernetes experience
- 1+ years of experience with monitoring tools such as: Prometheus, Cortex, Grafana, Jaeger
- Experience designing/building/running high traffic services
- Infrastructure experience with GCP/Azure/AWS
- Ability to lead development teams and serve as a SME/Mentor in this niche space
- Experience providing Observability using OSS
- Experience developing operators/extending the Kubernetes API
- Experience with time-series databases
- Health care industry experience
- Comfortable in a Linux (Mac) environment
- Ability to work in a fast paced, fluid environment while maintaining adherence to standards and best practices
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $82,100 to $146,900. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $90,500 to $161,600. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.