Teamwork makes the stream work
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
About The Role
Do you want to help build Roku’s next-generation unified cloud-agnostic hosting platform? Are you experienced with Terraform, Kubernetes, and Istio, and can write applications and automation in Golang, Python, or Shell? Are you interested in being part of a multi-national team to design and create the platform? If so, this role is for you!
About The Team
The central Infrastructure Engineering team is looking for highly skilled infrastructure and software engineers to help develop and drive Roku’s service mesh hosting architecture and observability platform. Our team is responsible for building and scaling both the Platform (Kubernetes, Istio, Envoy, operators, and more) and the Observability layer (OSS/CNCF-supported observability projects) in order to affect Roku’s transition towards a single, unified, cloud-agnostic system where all teams speak the same infrastructure language. We are engaging with Roku’s engineering teams to migrate hundreds of workloads to our common platform, including helping augment and automate CI/CD flows. We are looking for engineers that love working collaboratively across teams to achieve company-impacting results.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Help architect, design, build, deploy Roku’s next generation service mesh and cloud infrastructure.
- Contribute to evolving our deployments by building solutions using Docker, Kubernetes, Istio/Envoy, and Terraform.
- Join in efforts to investigate new technology and tools to be adopted by Roku.
- Help build and integrate security as part of the infrastructure.
- Collaborate on internal customer engagements as we migrate workloads to Kubernetes + Istio + open source observability tools and technologies
- Mentor other team members to define and adopt new or improve existing processes and procedures.
We’re Excited If You Have
- Strong hands-on experience in cloud technologies. AWS, ECS, and Kubernetes (EKS, GKE, AKS , or other) preferred. Knowledge of another cloud platform like GCP or Azure is a plus but not necessary.
- Demonstrated understanding of overall infrastructure design and developing tools to enable and automate the infrastructure.
- Experienced with a high-level scripting language (such as Python), and a system programming language (such as Go).
- Production experience in testing and deploying applications via modern CI/CD tools and concepts
- The drive and self-motivation to understand the intricate details of a complex infrastructure environment.
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly with both technical and non-technical project stakeholders.
- Masters degree or equivalent experience (8+ years)
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.