The revolution won’t be televised. It will be streamed. Want to help us build it?
Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is looking for an experienced Sr. Software Engineer, Build Systems to join the RokuOS, Media and Systems Architecture group. RokuOS is a Linux-based system that runs on millions of regularly updated devices in the field. As we continue to grow our diverse product offering and install base, our challenge is to keep RokuOS maintainable, portable, and high quality, while adding new features and supporting new hardware offerings. To achieve this, we must evolve and maintain strong device portability abstractions, system modularity and a component-based build system. The component-based build system is critical to our success to fully empower our developers and maximise developer efficiency and velocity.
We are in the process of converting our existing platform builds to a new component-based build system. We are looking for expertise in embedded cross-compilation to assist us in this transition.
What you’ll be doing
- Participate in the re-architecture of the RokuOS build system to support modularisation.
- Demonstrate excellence in build system development.
- Work both independently and in small groups to deliver build improvements on-time.
- Debug build issues with an eye to optimising performance and improving product quality.
We’re excited if you have
- 7+ years of experience preferred in embedded cross-platform Linux based product builds.
- Proven track record of success with embedded Linux development projects.
- Extensive experience with Make; familiarity with tools like OE, BitBake, Docker, CMake, Buildroot, Ninja.
- Familiarity with revision control systems like Perforce and Git.
- A passion for building robust systems and portability abstractions.
- Deep understanding of linking, loading and the use of C++ shared objects in the embedded space.
- Experience with both ARM and MIPS architecture/tool chains.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humour. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.