ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
This individual must be able to lead the development of new products, line extensions, and technical product support with multifunction teams. They will be required to design and implement all technical aspects of product development projects. They will also need to ensure that they proceed according to plan and on time and budget. They will be accountable for selecting the appropriate and leading or executing methods, tests, and procedures to assess the feasibility of new ideas and provide plans for its development. This individual must also be able to lead sessions with key customers and the Marketing & Sales functions.
- Comparable experience in successfully executing new product development within a cross functional organization from ideation through to launch and post launch governance.
- Have product development experience within the Food or FMCG Industry.
- Have a passion for new product development/design and science/engineering.
- Have a working knowledge of food manufacturing, from ingredients & packaging materials to processing.
- Is able to troubleshoot processes (Manufacturing / NPD Laboratory / Pilot Plant) to find solutions to problems.
- Creates product formulations both from a development brief but also in response to a consumer need and provides recommendations for manufacturing processes.
- Analyzes problems & designs experiments; in order to test a range of hypothesis and recommend a business aligned solution.
- Develops and leads the implementation of projects while preserving a safe and accident-free, GMP laboratory environment.
- Leads production trials that test different theories to allow efficient commercialization of the product.
- Identifies and leads technical training to sales, operations, and customers on new products vs consumer need and technology implementation.
- Collaborates with Marketing, Sales and Operations to identify opportunities for competitive market advantage and develops and executes experiments to validate and support current products and New Product Developments.
- Has experience and understanding of the stage/gate process in Project management and can lead others in delivering multiple parallel work streams to successfully deliver NPD projects
Preferred Education & Skill Set
- Minimum B.Sc. in Foods, Nutrition, Chemistry or Agriculture – Science/Technology/Engineering or related field.
- Work experience in product development or process engineering in consumer goods is essential.
- An extensive knowledge of DOE, analytical and physical testing methodologies is preferred.
- Possess leadership skills to proactively deliver technical solutions to solve business and market issues.
- Demonstrates ability to propose and persuade new research direction that addresses the business needs of the Company.
- Has the ability to communicate well and to effectively influence and interact with others to accomplish research goals.
- Is able to deal with ambiguity; and will assess risk prior to making decisions when not all information is provided.
- Comfortable presenting to broader groups (e.g. internal cross functional teams and external customers)
- Possess excellent overall computer skills in all MS Office products such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Access, Project, Teams and Power Point.
- Adaptable and able to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong organization skills.
Detailed Roles & Responsibilities
- Provides insight, guidance and development prowess to procure ingredients, formulate and produce bench or full scale samples to support the Product development program fulfilling a customer/sales and marketing brief
- Independently Design and execute Sensory evaluations and Consumer/Customer testing – qualitative & quantitative with data interpretation and development recommendations.
- Lead scale-up Product trials at our European sites (including co-packers), align stakeholders on the trial objectives, produce a DOE to understand variables, take measurements during the trial, co-ordinate inputs from other functions and communicate final recommendations to key stakeholders.
- Ensures the NPD Procedures/Protocols are kept up to date as part of the QMS and adhered to making the EUR NPD BRC compliant.
- Drafts and submits new ingredients/materials for reviews and approvals, builds finished product specifications and product process documents
- Contributes and updates on multiple NPD projects in cross functional matrixed teams involving project management group, packaging innovation, global regulatory affairs, legal, quality, site operations, supply chain and procurement teams
- Builds strong relationships with our supply base, seek out new innovative suppliers that can offer us a cost/competitive advantage in market.
- Determines the material and formulation costs for a given finished good and understand the impact on profit.
- Understands the interdependencies of product development with other functions and the impact it has on the overall business objectives.
- Using DOE, applies logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems and proactively address issues.
- This role may require the supervision and coaching of a small team of 1-2 Research Scientists but does not have direct line management responsibility.
At Tate & Lyle Sugars, the groups values are the cornerstone of our success.
Leadership – our goal is to be the leader in every arena in which we compete. Teamwork – our strength is magnified when we work together. Integrity – honesty and trust are the foundation of our success.Service – we know that the people and communities in which we operate are crucial partners to our success. Sustainability – the member companies of ASR Group are committed to sustainable agricultural and business practices.