This is a key position in the IT Applications organization, and is responsible for meeting customer needs through application development, deployment and life-cycle management, specializing in Windstream’s quoting and product catalog applications.
This position will be a strong software engineer for IT development initiatives, supporting design, implementation, configuration and deployment of custom applications and modified off-the-shelf applications, as well as developing integrations between Windstream's systems.
This position will interact with other organizations both within IT group e.g., IT Operations and other IT Application teams in order to provide proactive solutions to the business and drive business value.
Skills and Competencies:
This position calls for excellent competencies in a variety of areas, including:
- Leadership and communication skills to build and strengthen relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Highly motivated and self-directed individual, bringing a strong sense of focus and energy to work.
- Leadership skills and execution focus to drive results through performance.
- Strong technical knowledge of a wide range of development languages, frameworks, and methodologies, such as:
- database modeling / design in both SQL relational databases such as Oracle, and non-relational such as MongoDB
- SOAP/REST web services,
- Unit and integration testing with tools such as JUnit, TestNG, Mocha
- Distributed version control systems such as Mercurial or GIT
- Continuous integration tools such as TeamCity and Jenkins
- Familiarity with a Linux shell environment and accessing Linux systems remotely via SSH to run applications.
- Ability to diagnose problems occurring within a system or resulting through integration between systems.
- Experience with development, deployment, and management of microservice/cloud-based architectures such as Spring Boot and Docker is a plus.
- Business domain expertise in telecom industry and/or BPM would be a plus.
- Working knowledge of the Agile development methodologies, such as SCRUM or Kanban.
Responsibilities Including (but not limited to):
- Development and implementation of quoting and catalog software initiatives.
- Support requirements discussions led by business analysts; develop designs and levels of effort for systems implementing those requirements. Documentation of the designs to sufficient detail for implementation by other team members.
- Production support of quoting and catalog software, including some off-hours support on a rotating schedule.
- Participate in design and technology decisions and mentor junior engineers.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of databases and associated development.
- Identifying issues within software systems and recommending solutions to others.
- Implement and participate within code review process.
- Work and manage multiple development initiatives concurrently.
- Communicate with internal stakeholders and users for support and to work in support of requirements and design development.
Minimum Requirements:College degree in a Technical or related field and 5-7 years professional level experience with 2-3 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or 9 years professional level related Technical experience with 2-3 years supervisory experience for roles with supervision; or an equivalent combination of education and professional level related Technical experience required.
Job Category: IT
Locations: US-North Carolina-Concord
Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, current military status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, citizenship status, or any other status protected by law, and to give full consideration to qualified disabled individuals and protected veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.