At Cloudflare, we have our eyes set on an ambitious goal: to help build a better Internet. Today the company runs one of the world’s largest networks that powers approximately 25 million Internet properties, for customers ranging from individual bloggers to SMBs to Fortune 500 companies. Cloudflare protects and accelerates any Internet application online without adding hardware, installing software, or changing a line of code. Internet properties powered by Cloudflare all have web traffic routed through its intelligent global network, which gets smarter with every request. As a result, they see significant improvement in performance and a decrease in spam and other attacks. Cloudflare was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s Top Company Cultures list and ranked among the World’s Most Innovative Companies by Fast Company.
We realize people do not fit into neat boxes. We are looking for curious and empathetic individuals who are committed to developing themselves and learning new skills, and we are ready to help you do that. We cannot complete our mission without building a diverse and inclusive team. We hire the best people based on an evaluation of their potential and support them throughout their time at Cloudflare. Come join us!
About The Team
You'll be part of a new engineering team focused on building data-driven products to secure our customers’ API traffic. We are a group of experienced engineers and data scientists passionate about building novel and scalable detection capabilities for API abuse.
What you'll do
You’ll be tackling real world security problems that affect our customers by leveraging massive amounts of data points to design scalable models that run on thousands of machines all over the globe. This position will enable you to make a real and substantial impact in the global cyber security space. At Cloudflare, we process in excess of 25 million HTTP requests per second, creating a unique opportunity to leverage data to build highly intelligent detection systems.
With the aim to improve our abuse detection capabilities, you will be responsible for researching novel data-driven opportunities, deriving and communicating meaningful insights, and designing machine learning models and other solutions that can operate on extreme scale with high accuracy, in an ever changing and adversarial context.
This is a high visibility role and success in this role comes from marrying a strong data and modeling background with security acumen especially in fraud and abuse detection.
About Your Role
- Partner with product managers, data engineers, machine learning engineers and other key stakeholders in understanding the need for data insights and predictive analytics in the area of security and fraud detection in a globally distributed environment.
- Help improve the data collection and quality.
- Understand business/product strategy and high-level roadmap and align analysis efforts to enable them with data insights and help achieve their strategic goals.
- Strong audience focused presentation and storytelling skills focused on key takeaways in a crisp and concise manner.
- Define, implement, and train statistical, machine learning, and deep learning models.
- Use software engineering best practices to publish model output/insights at scale within our infrastructure
- Ability to define and spot macro and micro levels trends with statistical significance on a regular basis and understand key drivers driving those trends.
- M.S or Ph.D in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or other quantitative field
- Strong data analysis skills, strong autonomy in deriving data insights and threat intelligence, as well as proposing models and solutions that can lead to quick and effective proof-of-concepts (PoCs).
- Experience working with querying and processing structured and unstructured data.
- Work closely with data engineering teams to ensure robust data pipelines and model deployment.
- Proven track record of applying data insights and machine learning in order to address business needs and drive revenue.
- 5+ years of data scientist experience with proven industry experience in a large scale environment (PBs scale, globally distributed teams).
- Strong communication and presentation skills catered to different audiences within the company.
- Capable of working closely with business, engineering, and product teams to ensure data initiatives are aligned with business needs.
- Experience with Internet and networking protocols
- Experience or interest in cyber security, fraud or abuse detection is a huge plus
- Experience in productionizing machine learning models
- Experience writing and optimizing advanced SQL queries
- Familiarity using Python and Jupyter Notebooks to explore and share ideas
- Good Linux/UNIX systems knowledge
What Makes Cloudflare Special?
We’re not just a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company. We’re a highly ambitious, large-scale technology company with a soul. Fundamental to our mission to help build a better Internet is protecting the free and open Internet.
Project Galileo : We equip politically and artistically important organizations and journalists with powerful tools to defend themselves against attacks that would otherwise censor their work, technology already used by Cloudflare’s enterprise customers–at no cost.
Athenian Project : We created Athenian Project to ensure that state and local governments have the highest level of protection and reliability for free, so that their constituents have access to election information and voter registration.
Path Forward Partnership : Since 2016, we have partnered with Path Forward, a nonprofit organization, to create 16-week positions for mid-career professionals who want to get back to the workplace after taking time off to care for a child, parent, or loved one.
220.127.116.11 : We released 18.104.22.168 to help fix the foundation of the Internet by building a faster, more secure and privacy-centric public DNS resolver. This is available publicly for everyone to use – it is the first consumer-focused service Cloudflare has ever released. Here’s the deal – we don’t store client IP addresses never, ever. We will continue to abide by our privacy commitment and ensure that no user data is sold to advertisers or used to target consumers.
Sound like something you’d like to be a part of? We’d love to hear from you!
This position may require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations. Please note that any offer of employment may be conditioned on your authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export laws without sponsorship for an export license.
Cloudflare is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and place great value in both diversity and inclusiveness. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their, or any other person's, perceived or actual race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an AA/Veterans/Disabled Employer.
Cloudflare provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodations include, but are not limited to, changing the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job, please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or via mail at 101 Townsend St. San Francisco, CA 94107.