UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We're a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Actively participate in on-call rotation for incident resolution for the platform and/or any dependent components which the product engineering teams rely on for their work. This will be no more than 25% of the time. The rest of the time will be automating and developing quality and operational improvements/solutions
- Maintain and improve operational tooling, frameworks, perform chaos engineering activities
- Perform root cause analysis and deliver resolution for tools and automation failures
- Build frameworks that test the performance and resiliency of our platform services/tools
- Build/integrate/administer systems and tools that enable engineering teams to observe their applications in production with autonomy (Dashboards, APMs)
- Automate alerts for metrics on performance, cost, vulnerabilities, risk, compliance violations
- Identify and measure SLOs, SLAs and SLIs
- Improve processes/runbooks and champion automation of any manual items around support
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years developing cloud-native applications using one or more languages (Typescript, C# ,Java)
- 3+ years deploying and operating cloud-native applications in a public cloud (Azure preferred)
- 2+ years in a role of supporting software and/or cloud-infrastructure in an on-call rotation basis to help with identification and remediation of technical problems at the root cause
- In-depth and proactive communication skills around status of projects/issues in production
- Solid Git skills
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- 3+ years implementing dashboards to help teams visualize logs, instrumentation, and other data to ensure optimal performance of the platform services, infra, and deployed applications (Grafana preferred)
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes (Azure Kubernetes Service preferred)
- Experience using centralized logging solutions (Splunk (preferred), Elk, etc.)
- Experience using active monitoring systems (Datadog, New Relic, etc.)
- Experience creating runbooks, processes, and test plans around reliability, performance, etc. of infra/applications
- Experience planning and supporting +99.99% availability against critical applications in production
We Lead with Diversity, Inclusion and Compassion
At Optum Labs, we are dedicated to building teams where every individual is recognized for their unique experience and contributions. Our Leadership Principles underscore our commitment to inclusion, encouraging us to ‘walk in each other’s shoes’ and open doors for our peers.
UnitedHealth Group supports local, regional, and national organizations that share these values through joint initiatives, event and program participation, volunteerism and giving. Through our Connected Communities, employees can connect with others who have similar – or different – life experiences and backgrounds. These groups are led by peers, supported by Human Capital and championed by leaders.]
We Invest in Talent
Managers at every level are committed to their roles as talent stewards who help guide and nurture professional development. We want our employees to reach their highest level of potential just as they help us reach ours. Join Optum Labs and you’ll be part of a culture that prizes innovation and works with uncompromising integrity.
At Optum Labs, employees are our first customers. That’s why we offer virtual work environments to provide work/life flexibility via telecommuting. While it can be a struggle to be a telecommuter, it can also provide enormous benefits for your personal and professional life.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $66,100 to $118,300. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $72,800 to $129,900. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.