ActiGraph is an international leader in the development of validated medical-grade wearable solutions used to measure physical activity, sleep, and behavior patterns in the broader global academic and pharma research communities.
ActiGraph is looking for a Software Engineer II to join our growing engineering team and contribute in maintaining, improving, and expanding the software that runs on and supports our data gateway product. An ideal candidate for this position is able to analyze and develop software that runs on a fleet of embedded Linux devices, as well as supporting internal desktop- and web-based tools that are critical to continued operation of the device fleet.
The Software Engineer is responsible for the software development process, including the research, design, programming, and testing of computer software. The Software Engineer will also help to develop critical products for our clients, and offer technical support. The Software Engineer is expected to be proficient in application of theories and principles of Computer Science.
We are looking for an individual who possesses the ability to think outside the box, who has outstanding character while working within a team environment, possesses excellent communication skills, is a self-starter, has compassion for co-workers and clients alike, has the ability to maintain a professional attitude and appearance under any circumstance, and able to teach/coach/mentor new team members. We hope you'll consider joining us in our mission to help bring digital data to life!
The essential duties and responsibilities for this role include:
- Mentor Software Engineer I level teammates by providing advice and coaching.
- Capable of delivering on priorities in a timely fashion with limited supervision
- Ability to research and learn new technologies or frameworks to teach to the team
- Recommend improvements to existing software programs as necessary
- Ability to maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Participates in project reviews (design, implementation, and code) and other team meetings
- Display the ability and passion to go deep into the technology
- Clearly & regularly communicate with management & technical support colleagues
- Ability to work well with others with a willingness to understand the various roles played by fellow team members
- Ability to pay careful attention to detail
- Ability to effectively listen and communicate with team members/management
- Write clean, readable, maintainable, and reusable code ensuring that all code meets program requirements.
- Solve complex problems using strong analytical skills
- Identify and execute ways to properly and adequately test code
- Determine and provide feedback on operational feasibility by evaluating analysis, problem definition, requirements, solution development, and proposed solutions
- Modify existing software to correct errors, adapt to new hardware, upgrade interfaces, and improve performance
- Works closely with team members to translate requirements into a cohesive design strategy
All responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with the ActiGraph core values, standards, policies, and procedures.
As an equal opportunity employer, all employment at ActiGraph is governed without regard to, nor influenced by, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Because of the breadth of different technologies used in this system, we understand that candidates may have some but not all of these, and we encourage you to apply even if you don't have all of them. The most important skill for this role will be a readiness to learn. The ideal candidate will have:
- A BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or a relevant field with 3-5 years of professional related experience OR 5-8 of related professional experience in lieu of a degree
- Experience working with some combination of these languages and technologies:
- AWS IoT
- AWS Lambda
- AWS Kinesis
- Bluetooth Low Energy
At ActiGraph, we do our best to offer benefits and a work environment that is positive, fun, and tailored towards the needs and feedback of our team members. We do so by offering:
- A casual “dress-code” environment
- Pet friendly offices
- A family-oriented and collaborative workplace
- Paid time off (including paid time off for your birthday)
- And a very generous suite of benefits including: medical, dental, vision, basic/life accidental, short/long term disability, identity theft, 401K (plus a match), supplemental insurance options, AND tuition reimbursement
- US-based remote working options available