Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
At Optum, we know the extraordinary happens when we value, include, and learn from diverse people and perspectives. That’s why we’re committed to building an innovative culture where every team member is empowered to do their best work, where our diversity fuels our performance, and where we leverage our collective power to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We recognize and embrace the strengths of Neurodivergent individuals and are committed to creating an environment where all people will feel connected, safe, heard, respected, and valued.
Looking to make a radical impact on the way the health insurance industry uses and applies technology to make patients and providers’ lives easier? Becoming a part of Optum’s UnitedHealthcare Technology Division will give you the opportunity to just that. Serving all of UnitedHealthcare’s technology needs, UHC Tech is responsible for driving outcomes across nearly 30 million+ human lives, a number which puts UHC at the top of the pack as the largest managed care provider in the United States.
UnitedHealthcare is on a journey towards delivering a best-in-the-industry consumer experience to its patients and providers. This journey starts with the flawless execution of the operations that get benefit plans into the hands of our customers, and the support those customers receive throughout their healthcare journeys. Our team, UHC Tech BenOps, is transforming to meet the moment – to begin radically altering the way our customers engage with the healthcare system using modern tech to solve some of the most complex problems experienced along the way.
Our team focuses on ensuring our UHC Customers are experiencing the healthcare system as they expect, from execution of sales through to price transparency, overall utilization of benefits and service experience.
The team is focused on the following products:
- Quality and Readiness – a suite of technology tools enabling us to identify, monitor and control quality trends in our operational processes and healthcare products
- Price Care – an enterprise cost estimation capability providing up-to-date member cost share for all populations and provider services covered by UHC
- Frontline Messaging – an asynchronous messaging platform connecting our consumers to our healthcare advocates for sales, service and support
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- As a Software Engineer accountable for implementing software solutions as a member of a 4-6 person scrum team
- Learning from senior and lead engineers on your scrum team and product team
- Interface with other SWE’s, managers and peers to understand work items and engineering best practices
- Contribute to the implementation of product backlog items and focus on enhancing your engineering skills through on-the-job learning
- Learning will be one of your core areas of focus – ensuring you fully understand your team’s technology, and how to contribute to the codebase
- Embrace modern technologies. Work to consistently be learning new tech and staying curious about the solutions you are working on
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 2+ years of broad software engineering knowledge – meaning you are not necessarily specialized in Java, Python, or any other coding language, but are willing to learn any and all technologies
- Experience with, or knowledge of, Agile and Scrum. Understand the role of a Software Engineer in an Agile environment – where it is imperative to seek guidance from peers. Know that there is no such thing as a stupid question
- Demonstrated understanding of software engineering foundations like object-oriented programming, web services principles and/or database design
- Solid interest in data science, artificial intelligence, and machine learning
- Know how to contribute to a culture of appreciation and continuous peer feedback
- Problem solver at heart – challenges excite you and a lack of knowledge never holds you back
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.