Viable Data is an innovative technology, data and UX consultancy, delivering excellence through our projects and providing our people with a supportive culture and opportunities for growth and continuous learning.
We thrive on the challenge of working across different projects, user needs, and technologies and our teams and peoplelivethis every day. Our people-first approach and culture are central to our growing success as a consultancy.
We are an all-inclusive equal opportunities employer and proudly celebrate diversity. If you thrive on challenge, have a passion to learn and make a difference, and enjoy being part of a growing multidisciplinary team, look no further and start your Viable career, now.
Please note, that due to COVID-19 the role will currently work remotely, until further notice. After this the role will be based, part-time, at our clients' offices in the London area.
As a Software Engineer (Back-end) at Viable Data, you will be someone who can adapt quickly and easily to the flexible needs of our Central Government customers. You will join one of our high-performing consulting teams where you will play a pivotal role in designing & delivering exceptional digital products and services that directly contribute to the delivery of UK policy, economic growth, and security.
- Write clean, well-structured, maintainable code with appropriate test and documentation ensuring that business requirements are met,
- Liaise with BA's, UX's, and other team members to analyse and review application functional designs,
- Adhere to coding standards, participate in code reviews, and follow best practices where appropriate,
- Refactor existing code where optimisation is deemed necessary,
- Communicate progress whilst attending stand-up meetings and perform regular updates to assigned issues and stories in Jira to support management teams tracking of progress
Mandatory Skills And Experience
- Minimum 5 years backend development and solution design experience including multi-threading
- Experience in back-end development languages such as Python, NodeJS, Java or Groovy
- Experience with high-throughput and low-latency application design
- Fundamental understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Team player with strong collaborative and communications skills
- Flexibility to learn other languages, frameworks, and technologies
Desirable Skills And Experience
- Strong experience with more than one of the following languages:
- Python (version 3 and above),
- Java (1.8 and above),
- Comfortable using relevant backend frameworks such as ExpressJS or Flask
- Comfortable with Microservice architectures using Docker and Kubernetes,
- A proficiency with integrating with databases such as PostgreSQL and using third party SDKs
- Experience with Event Driven and Event Sourcing designs
- Experience with developing RESTful APIs
- Familiar with GOV.UK Design System and the GDS approach to developing products and services
- Experience in working in a multidisciplinary team using agile methodologies
- Full stack software development experience
Due to the nature of work, candidates will need to hold a valid SC security clearance or be eligible and willing to undergo SC security clearance.
Due to the nature of work, candidates will need to hold a valid SC security clearance, or if not in current possession of SC security clearance must be willing to undergo and capable of achieving SC security clearance (including, but not limited to, you must have lived in the UK for the last 5 consecutive years and have a valid passport, birth certificate or residence permit and a UK National Insurance number).
As well as providing a great place to work that has an amazing culture and the opportunity to work on excellent projects where you will really make a difference, we have a whole host of additional employee benefits. Our benefits package includes:
- 25 days leave
- 5 days dedicated training allowance, with individual budget
- Mentoring system, with 6-month review cycles
- Flexible hours and supportive of (partial) remote working
- 5% pension company contributions
- Annual bonus based on company performance
- Choice of company laptop (MacBook, Linux or Windows)
For a full list of the benefits of working at Viable Data, see our benefits page.