We serve and protect those who serve and protect us. Attracting and retaining the sharpest minds is essential for a globally competitive UK Air Business. Our aim is to recruit the very best talent. At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
At BAE Systems we are committed to supporting work life balance for all our employees and embrace a range of modern working practices, which aim to enhance flexibility for individuals whilst also enabling business performance. Flexibility provisions vary by role, but include; hybrid working arrangements, flexible working patterns and shift working.
Our Air Business
If you'd like to make a real difference where it counts, BAE Systems is the place for you.
From keeping soldiers, sailors and pilots safe to helping countries prosper, from developing the next generation of supersonic aircraft to investing in the next generation of super-smart talent – at BAE Systems, we work together to give our customers an essential edge in protecting the things that really matter. Lives, livelihoods, ways of life.
As part of our Air team, you could be working at the edge of what is technologically possible, shaping the future to ensure our customers are ready to face challenges we cannot even imagine today. You could be developing and evolving the technologies that will defend the UK for generations to come and supporting our customers around the globe.
Join us and you'll be encouraged and rewarded to excel in this important work. Apply your talent where it counts.
Would you like the opportunity to develop and work on cutting edge real time synthetic solutions for a broad range of Typhoon and Hawk Customers? We currently have a vacancy for a Software Engineer at our site in Warton.
An exciting opportunity exists for an ambitious and self-confident Software Engineer within the Aircrew Training Simulation Systems (ATSS) Team to take an active role in the development of real-time simulation software to support the training of fast jet aircrew for UK and overseas Customers.
You will work as part of a dynamic team designing, developing, testing and maintaining the software, which is used to support a whole range of aircrew training activities from emergency drills, through to full tactical mission rehearsal in a networked environment with multiple virtual and constructive entities. This will involve regular use of desktop based systems through to full mission simulator devices, including software that is designed around helping pilots 'plan, do and review' their sorties in the simulator, giving the candidate a unique view on what it's like to be a fast jet pilot!
There is the possibility of working on company business domestically and abroad in support of the training devices.
Your main responsibilities as a Software Engineer will involve:
Both working as part of a team and individually to develop simulations and software applications for aircrew training simulators.
- Develop, integrate and test a variety of simulations and simulator specific applications, such as airborne subsystems, computer generated forces, visual, audio and environmental simulations, Human Machine Interfaces and Graphical User Interfaces.
- Define, derive and maintain requirements using DOORS. (DOORS experience welcomed but training will be provided)
- Define, derive and maintain the simulator design using modelling-based design tools such as ARTiSAN. (Design tools experience welcomed but training will be provided)
- Agree to and work to timescales, providing regular feedback of progress and achievement.
- Communicate effectively, identify potential risks and seek clarification and feedback from team members.
- Ensure that a good working knowledge of Aircrew Training Simulation Systems related product deliverables is maintained and that an awareness of customer issues is also maintained.
- Understand and comply with BAE Systems Warton policies on security, IT facilities, operating procedures, absence and attendance, staff job time recording, health and safety and business ethics.
Your skills and qualifications:
- A degree in a STEM subject or equivalent relevant experience
- Knowledge of programming in various languages such as C#, C++,ADA, C, Java, Visual Basic
- Experience of the Software Engineering lifecycle
- Previous experience of Microsoft Office Toolsets
- Previous experience with DOORS and ARTiSAN would be advantageous but not essential
What we are looking for in you:
A proactive, self-motivated person who wants to be part of a dynamic team developing cutting edge synthetic solutions for a broad range of Typhoon and Hawk Customers. You will need to have effective communication skills and enjoy working in a team environment and have a proactive approach to problem solving.
Salary: £33,569+ depending on experience
Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
BAE Systems is one of the world's leading global defence, security and aerospace companies. We work at the cutting edge of technology, creating more than 100 new inventions every year for customers in over 100 countries.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.
Due to the volume of applications we receive, we sometimes close our vacancies early. It is therefore advisable to apply as early as possible if you would like to be considered for a role with BAE Systems.