Senior Staff Software Engineer- Developer Platform
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door. Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year. We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
We have been named as one of the ’50 Smartest Companies in the World’ by MIT Technology Review, and as one of Forbes magazine’s ’30 Global Game Changers.’ In 2020, we placed second on CNBC’s ‘Disruptor 50’ list.
The Developer platform team is responsible Coupang’s developer experiences including Coupang’s internal workload management and microservice ecosystem which scales to thousands of microservices. We are in a process to revolutionize our developer experiences and internal infrastructure by adopting the best technologies available.
We are looking for an architect who has deep understanding of distributed systems, hands-on experiences in large scale backend services, Kubernetes, gRPC and service mesh. You will be responsible to design the architecture and lead the team to deliver a modern platform that powers all Coupang’s internal services.
What You Will Do
As a Senior Staff Software Engineer in Developer platform, you will partner with leaders of multiple platform teams. You will work closely with the product team to define and implement simple solutions of complex infrastructure problems while ensuring to build a highly scalable, reliable and efficient platform for our customers. You will technically guide teams working on full stack development teams using JAVA, AWS, Kafka, Kubernetes, gRPC and service mesh. You will be accountable for hiring and developing technical leaders and top talent, raising the bar on engineering and operational excellence.
In this role, you will:
- Architect workload and service management infrastructure.
- Hands-on develop critical infrastructure components.
- Decompose complex problems into simple, straightforward solutions, providing mechanisms for the teams to prioritize ruthlessly and ‘move with urgency’.
- Envision roadmaps for the scalable and robust growth of Coupang’s growing Application infrastructure.
- Align with stakeholders, develop strong developers and provide technical guidance to engineers on critical projects to resolve complex business problems.
- Demonstrate excellence resulting in scalable systems and services with the highest quality architecture and design.
- Dive deep into critical system issues, proactively addressing similar root causes, and raise the bar on Operational Excellence.
- Collaborate with other Coupang tech leaders to make the service extensible to unlock opportunities for innovations.
- One who has bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical fields.
- One who has 10+ years professional software development experience, or 8 years’ experience with advanced degree.
- One who has 4+ years’ experience of project tech lead.
- One who has hands-on experience in designing and developing large scale distributed system in the last 4 years.
- One who is fluent in one or more among C++, Java and Go.
- Proven track record of delivering mission critical systems.
- Experience developing and growing senior individual contributors globally.
- Experience with cloud computing using AWS or Azure or GCP.
- One who has experience in Kubernetes, gRPC, Envoy proxy and Envoy xDS API.
- One who has experience in concurrency, multi-threading, synchronization, and non-blocking IO.
- One who has deep understanding of operating system kernel and distributed system such as Kafka, Cassandra and Google Spanner.
- One who has experience in CI/CD pipelines, Jfrog artifactory, Yaml and AWS cloud.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and leading the delivery of large-scale services for complex business offerings.
- Ability to influence cross functional stakeholders, prioritize ruthlessly, Aim High and Find a Way to deliver results with grit.
- One who is capable of or is fluent in English communication.
- One who has master or PhD degree in computer science or other related technical fields.
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to actual or perceived race (including traits historically associated with race, including but not limited to hair texture and protective hair styles), color, religion, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, ,ancestry, national origin (including language use restrictions), age (40 and over), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, family status (including but not limited to marital or domestic partnership status), military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities or affiliations, ancestry, citizenship, family and medical leave status, status as a victim of any violent crime, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Coupang is also committed to providing a safe work environment for its employees and its consumers. As a condition of employment, Coupang requires employees to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, subject to legally required accommodations. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application of recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at [email protected]