Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat Enterprise is a leading global provider of satellite-enabled managed connectivity services for land-based organisations. We are enabling the Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) and helping transform business outcomes across a diverse set of sectors, including agriculture, aid and NGO, media, mining, oil and gas, renewable energy, transport and utilities.
Primary role purpose:
The Enterprise IoT Solutions Architect is a member of the Innovation and Technology Partnership team within the broader Solution Engineering team, responsible for steering the development of new partner solutions and enablers for Inmarsat’s channel and customers, to drive revenue through adoption of Inmarsat’s core connectivity products. In the role you will be both a consulting interface to technology partners and a bridge to Inmarsat’s internal technology stakeholders to ensure alignment with Inmarsat’s core product strategy and roadmap. You will help derive and articulate customer and market requirements and map those to prioritised technical requirements and implementation approach in collaboration with our partners. Working closely with members of the market development and sales teams, often under tight customer deadlines, you are responsible for ensuring feasibility of technical approaches, as well as pragmatic experimentation and rapid prototyping of solutions. You will also contribute directly to the generation of new ideas for the Inmarsat portfolio to drive revenue growth and customer success.
As a technical expert and customer evangelist, the Solutions Architect balances technical knowledge with a market and business context to build credibility both with customers and internally within Inmarsat. The role will involve representing Inmarsat Enterprise capability at industry events and with partners, creating a credible and influential set of long-term relationships, with ample opportunity for professional and personal development.
- Research new technologies and partners to identify gaps and opportunities, and recommend assessment, adoption and/or engagement aligned with EBU strategy and priorities
- Support technical engagements with technology partners, particularly within the Application and Solution Provider framework, to ensure compatibility and efficiency of solutions using Inmarsat connectivity
- Proactively prototype solution components or internal proofs of concept to create examples and demonstrate the art of the possible with Inmarsat’s products
- Generate novel ideas and innovative uses for Inmarsat’s connectivity portfolio, contributing to business case development and product roadmap
- Ensure compliance with best practices and technical assessment criteria for solutions considering aspects such as security, deployment, in-life maintenance, user experience and scalability
- Collaborate with ecosystem partners to capture and prioritise business/market requirements and translate into technical requirements
- Ensure a minimum acceptable quality level and best practices for design documentation and revision control as a key deliverable for all solutions.
- Support project management in the delivery of partner proof of concept / proof of value activities
- Support EBU pre-sales in the development and execution of test plans and criteria for solution acceptance and/or partner certification
- Contribute to collateral generation for partner solutions, ensuring key end user benefits and competitive differentiators are articulated effectively for each solution
- Establish professional relationships with partners and end user customers that build trust, credibility and derive unique insights to ensure customer success
- Demonstrate IoT thought leadership through mechanisms such as blogs, industry group participation and networking
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Honours or higher degree in IT and/or Engineering (Computer and/or Electronics)
- Experience in a software development and/or engineering role within a technology company (preferably IoT or telecommunications)
- Strong knowledge of IT inclusive of TCP/IP networking, security, enterprise and cloud infrastructure, IoT/M2M devices and protocols, data analytics platforms
- Strong knowledge (direct experience preferred) in structured software development including agile development, dev-ops, open source, revision control, collaborative development, test and release processes
- Self-directed organisational management
- Good interpersonal and persuasion skills in both written and verbal communication
- Fluent verbal and written English communications
- Comfortable to present technical concepts to senior-level stakeholders
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience or direct support of sales, pre-sales or business development
- Understanding of key business metrics and concepts such as ROI, NPV, TCO, etc.
- Hands-on experience deploying IoT/M2M solutions including sensors.
- Experience with embedded device programming e.g. single board computers, shell scripts, C++, Java, Python, Golang, Node Red, Lua, etc.
- Experience in cloud system integration e.g. AWS, Azure, IoT platforms and data analytics, full stack development, databases, APIs
- Knowledge of MSS, FSS and cellular industries
- Knowledge of wireless IoT technologies e.g. LoRa, LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, BLE, Zigbee, etc.
- Existing network/relationships in EBU focus sectors e.g. agriculture, mining, oil and gas, utilities, etc.
- Multiple language skills are an asset in particular Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do
- Type: Full-time
- Function: Engineering