There is a place for you at T. Rowe Price to grow, contribute, learn, and make a difference.” We are a premier’asset’manager’focused on delivering global investment management excellence and retirement services that investors can rely on today and in the future. The work we do matters. We invite you to explore the opportunity to join us and grow your career with us.
Engineers in Global Investment Operations at T. Rowe Price are playing a key role in helping build the future of financial services, working hand-in-hand with business partners to create client experiences that are changing the way people invest. We're looking for software engineers at all levels to join our LDN offices. We want technologists with a fresh perspective who are passionate about solving complex business, data and technical challenges. You'll work with smart, talented people across our business to create groundbreaking, next-generation applications for n-tier cloud architectures. You'll be involved, hands-on, through the entire development cycle. And you'll redefine the way our traders, portfolio managers and analysts serve our clients.
We will expect you to be agile / to lead / to think outside the box. In return, we'll give you challenging work that has an impact / Opportunities to learn and grow / and a collaborative culture that encourages every member of our team to bring their point of view to the table’because that's how we help our clients succeed.
In Global Investment Operations, we handle large volumes of data relating to critical business data, securities and transactions. We process this data to enable reporting and analytics, making it available to numerous verticals across the firm whether by API or user interface front end.
We are building out modern, cloud first applications using leading edge technologies. We are designing our systems using a best of breed technical approach that includes modern approaches to engineering such as a mature API strategy and event driven design. You will be proficient in Java technology and have experience in front end toolkits such as React. You'll be interested in applying innovative technology to process and manipulate data at scale, and be interested in working in a cloud native deployment environment.
Designs, develops, modifies, adapts and implements short- and long-term solutions to information technology needs through new and existing applications, systems, databases and applications infrastructure. Reviews and interprets system requirements and business processes. Codes, tests, debugs and implements software solutions.
- Requires in-depth knowledge and expertise in their own job discipline and working knowledge of related disciplines
- Leads projects or work streams within broader projects
- Accountable for work of self and sometimes others, provides process and standards advice in area of specialty
- Works independently, receives minimal guidance
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
ROLE SUMMARY AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Craftsman-like approach to building software; takes pride in engineering excellence and instills these values in others
- Demonstrable passion for technology (e.g. personal projects, open-source involvement) while using their problem solving capabilities to deliver solutions utilizing a top end engineering approach
- Focused on delivering value to the business with relentless efforts to improve process
- Exceptional technology skills; recognized by your peers as an expert in your domain
- A proponent of strong collaborative software engineering techniques and methods: agile development, continuous integration, code review or pairing, unit testing, refactoring and related approaches
- Strong analytical ability, true problem solvers
- High achiever who combines ambition with humility and is happy to let their performance do the talking
- Accountable for all parts of the software development lifecycle for their projects
- Contributes to the development of best practices within their group
- Leads code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others' designs/code
- Accountable for technical debt in their own software
- At some levels, capable of leading a small team of developers for a specific project
- Takes control of complex or vague problems and steps through them in a rational way
- Makes tactical vs. strategic tradeoffs
- Flexible in your thinking; able to evolve a solution when additional information or ideas are presented
- Mentors junior members of the team
- Identifies when junior engineers need help and provides it in a positive way that promotes confidence.
- Proactively helps team members/make suggestions to improve practices.
- Able to work directly with business stakeholders
- Decisions show a focus on current and future business priorities, together with fiscal responsibility
- Can articulate business needs and translate them into technology solutions
- Minimum 3+ Years of professional Object Oriented development experience in Java
- Experience with automated delivery pipelines, agile delivery and test-driven development
- You've mastered the Java language but might be interested in Python
- In-depth experience with server-side frameworks such as Spring Boot and Tomcat
- In-depth knowledge of software design patterns
- Experience with building out APIs using one or more technologies such as GraphQL, Rest or gRPC
- In-depth RDBMS development experience (e.g. PostgreSQL, Oracle, MySQL)
- Awareness of analytics tools such as Spark or Samza.
- Knowledge of with Event Stores and streaming (e.g. Kinesis, Kafka or Pulsar)
- Solid understanding of cloud native architectures (AWS, etc.) for containerized microservices and lambdas
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced, Agile team environment Strong interpersonal skills; able to establish and maintain a close working relationship with quantitative researchers, traders and senior business leaders
- Confident communicator; able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
- Enthusiasm for learning & results oriented
- A solid understanding of financial markets and instruments is a plus
- Stays current with many best-of-breed technologies
- Shows a commitment to quality by implementing suitable software using unit/integration and acceptance testing at the time of feature development
- Debugs large components with limited assistance and assists other engineers with debugging
- At some levels, leads code reviews and actively participates in providing feedback on others' designs/code
- Performs as an expert in one or more parts of the software lifecycle (e.g., coding, testing, deployment). Oversees significant pieces of development within the development lifecycle
- Designs and develops practical APIs and abstractions.
- Owns technical debt in their own software
- 3+ years experience in API / Microservice development using technologies to include: Java, Oauth, Apigee, Swagger
- 2+ years experience with containers – Docker
- 2+ years experience with CI/CD pipeline – GitLab, Jenkins, Artifactory
- Knowledgeable in one or more Cloud environments (AWS, Azure, Oracle, Googld)
- Understanding of distributed systems (Load Balancing, Auto-Scaling)
- Familiarity with shell commands/programming
- Knowledgeable in HTTP Request/Response Patterns
- Knowledgeable in REST, gRPC and/or GraphQL
- Understanding of Docker and its role in ECS/Kubernetes architecture
- Understanding of serverless microservice architecture in the context of AWS (Lambda, ALB, ApiGateway)
- Understanding of authentication to microservices (AuthZ/AuthN, JWT, Oauth2)
- Understanding and experience in coding for failure
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion:
We strive for equity, equality, and opportunity for all associates. When we embrace the power of diversity and create an environment where people can bring their authentic and best selves to work, our firm is stronger, and we create greater value for our clients. Our commitment and inclusive programming aim to lift the experience for each associate and builds allies for our global associate community. We know that a sense of belonging is key not only to your success at the firm, but also to your ability to bring your best each day.
T. Rowe Price is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity of thought, gender, and race. We believe our continued success depends upon the equal treatment of all associates and applicants for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, colour, national origin, sex, gender, age, mental or physical disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, military or veteran status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by country, federal, state, or local law.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.