BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
The mission of BuzzFeed’s Infrastructure group is to enable BuzzFeed tech teams to build and operate resilient, secure, and cost-effective products in an efficient manner.
In order to accomplish that goal, our group has built a self-serve platform (PaaS) on top of AWS and GCP that enables tech teams to be fully autonomous in the development, deployment, and maintenance of their applications. For example, any BuzzFeed engineer can create and deploy an application, attach a data store to it, and responsibly route traffic to it without having to coordinate with our team.
While this approach enables all tech teams to move fast and focus on solving product challenges (rather than infrastructure ones), it also allows us to bake industry best practices at the core of all of our services, which guarantees a level of standardization, resilience, and security across BuzzFeed’s fleet of applications.
The Infrastructure group is responsible for continually evolving BuzzFeed’s tech platform and its engineering best practices.
We’re looking for an engineer who is passionate about working as part of a distributed team, and finds excitement in helping to grow and further develop the tech platform used daily by all of our engineers. Whether you’re looking for an opportunity to gain more leadership experience, or hone your technical skills, this role provides the flexibility for both.
- Work through the entire software development lifecycle of projects including system architecture, implementation, testing, deployment, and subsequent fixes and improvements.
- Have the opportunity to reach across the entire infrastructure stack at BuzzFeed, working across a range of areas to solve new engineering problems.
- Develop and improve existing code structure and architecture in service of testability and maintainability.
- Contribute to and lead technical projects, working with engineers at all levels in a passionate and empathetic manner.
- Collaborate with and work through others, lifting the skills and expertise of those around you.
- Serve as a resource and/or mentor to other engineers, providing thoughtful, constructive feedback that is sensitive to the individual needs and perspectives of other employees.
- You have experience building scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems.
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You value testing, instrumenting, and documenting your work.
- You understand the importance of an inclusive work environment where every employee can be their true self.
- You are comfortable with languages like Python or Go.
- You value quality of work over quantity. Outcome over output.
Expertise building PaaS tooling is not required. However, if you haven’t worked on a platform team in the past, you should have strong opinions on how to build scalable distributed systems.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.