About The Job
The Senior Software Engineer (BE focused) is a seasoned Engineer and creative self-starter that has the capability to drive the development of new products and initiatives. Collaborating closely with Design, Product Management, and Engineering teams, this role will work with others to determine what to build and how to build it. Working at the intersection of Product and Engineering, this is a vital role in helping to scope projects and plan for the future.
You are an exceptional multitasker with an eye for detail. You thrive in a cohesive environment and are passionate about leveraging your skills to create and maintain Opal’s platform.
Opal is the planning platform that connects strategy to execution. Marketing and communications teams working together in Opal get the visibility they need to stay aligned and collaborate efficiently. Visit workwithopal.com to learn why Opal is used by teams everywhere including Starbucks, Target, Minted, General Motors, Ikea and Zillow.
- Write server-side functionality using Ruby/Rails, Elixir/Phoenix, or NodeJS.
- Drive the creation, shipping, and maintenance of capabilities across the Opal Platform.
- Participate in the entire product creative process, including user interviews, design meetings, technical architecture decisions, and resulting implementation.
- Collaborate with other members of the Engineering team, in addition to Product and Design teams.
- Develop the APIs, web applications and microservices that power the Opal Platform.
- Write and ship JSON:API API endpoints with 100% test coverage and with shared OpenAPI contracts.
- Leverage technologies like Docker, Redis, Postgres and ElasticSearch to build scalable and maintainable applications.
Skills, Experience, Knowledge:
- 5+ years of related software engineering experience focused on backend discipline.
- Experience with Ruby and Ruby on Rails is a bonus!
Passion for building excellent product, understand its potential and realized impact, and creating great user experiences. Experience developing enterprise-grade, cloud-based web applications and leveraging relational database technologies such as Postgres. Strong knowledge of web application architecture patterns and pitfalls. Solid understanding and an informed opinion about web application architectures. Understand the needs of Opal users to help deliver the most valuable implementation of a capability. Ability to efficiently create consensus, reach decisions, and deliver value to users by getting software shipped. Comfortable with in-person and digital communications, with the ability to articulate and break down information for an audience of Designers, Engineers, Product Managers, and other stakeholders. Experience working in a fast-paced, high-growth, and professional environment. Motivated by the journey of working at a continually expanding and ambitious start-up. Excellent interpersonal skills, working well in an open and collaborative environment. Natural alignment with Opal’s Values: Professional, Intentional, Steadfast, Helpful, Creative, Passionate, and Empathetic. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required; advanced degree in a related field a plus.
Some benefits our team members enjoy include:
- Competitive, market-leading compensation package, including stock options
- 100% company-paid Medical/Rx, Dental, and Vision Insurance for individuals (plus company-subsidized dependent coverage)
- Health Savings Account, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) for Health, Dependent Care, Commuter, Parking
- Company-paid Life/AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Pet Insurance for your furry friend
- Unlimited Vacation, Paid Sick Time, and Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave & Back-to-Work Program
- 401(k) and Roth Retirement Plans
- Company-sponsored outreach & activity programs
Pay of $120,000 – 150,000 DOE
Opal is an equal-opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment. We believe a diverse workplace promotes innovation and enhances decision making. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will consider all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, age, or veteran status.