Named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World in 2021, Marqeta powers innovative payment solutions for many of the apps and services you enjoy daily. Our open API modern card issuing platform provides unprecedented flexibility and control for industry-leading companies such as Square, Coinbase, J.P.Morgan, and Uber, to issue cards, authorize transactions and manage payment operations in real-time.
We are a team of industry experts and technology innovators who take a dynamic approach to solving challenging problems. Marqeta is certified as a 2021-2022 Fortune Great Place to Work, highlighting our company culture and open and collaborative work environment. We power possibilities for our customers and each other by bringing the brightest talent together to do the best work of our lives.
Marqeta strives to build a global team as diverse as the markets we serve, staying true to our values: Connect the Customer, Everyone Belongs, Marqeta Cares, Lead Innovation, Deliver Results, Quality First and Build One Marqeta. We are not expecting any single candidate to meet all job requirements listed below, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well. Learn more about Marqeta on our Website, Twitter and LinkedIn
Marqetans may choose to work remotely, or split their time between the office and home. Marqeta values flexibility in work arrangements and embodies an inclusive and collaborative culture.
Senior Backend Engineer Summary
Our platform is built by developers for developers.
Marqeta’s platform enables payment authorization decisioning, cardholder data security, instant card issuing, in-app provisioning directly to digital wallets, and real-time funding with our exclusive Just-in-Time (JIT) funding.
Senior Backend engineers develop scalable software that powers Marqeta's backend services. They create and review engineering design documentation, continuously improve our systems, infrastructure and processes with a focus on quality, create features, review each other's code and collaborate with a diverse set of stakeholders across the company.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you'll ship products that matter. You'll play an important role in helping Marqeta scale as the leader in Modern Card Issuing. You'll innovate on architecture, write impactful software and spend time mentoring engineers.
You'll Get The Opportunity To Contribute To
- Developing, managing and maintaining card network transactions at scale
- Creating Digital Wallet Tokens via Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Building out-of-this-world backend experiences for our customers, internal and external
- Getting cards to customers faster
- Managing chargebacks and disputes with Card Networks
- Facilitating money transfer via ACH and through ATM networks
- Applying APRs and fees to Credit customers
- Building a world class 3DS Access Control System
- Iterating and innovating on ways to bring quality backend software from ideation to production faster
What You'll Do
- Architect, design and develop projects from end to end
- Apply modern best practices in your designs and implementations
- Make things simple for ourselves and our customers
- Collaborate with other engineers to prioritize and ship features
- Mentor other engineers on the team, and be mentored by others
- Partner with Product Managers to scope and estimate new work
- Participate in on-call coverage
What We're Looking For
- 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer with a Bachelor’s degree; or 2 years of experience with an advanced degree. In lieu of a degree, 8+ years of relevant experience may suffice.
- A strong passion to write code with high quality and test coverage.
- Experience developing in Java and/or Python, however we welcome experience in other programming languages.
- Experience with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres, MS SQL Server, Oracle, etc.).
- Experience making technical trade offs and navigating technical complexities.
- Experience troubleshooting production issues.
- The ability to listen to the needs of others and comprehend complex matters, articulate issues in a clear and concise manner, and present effectively in both oral and written presentations to all levels in the organization
- The ability to demonstrate humility, empathy, and to take constructive feedback positively.
- A desire to grow in your career, learn, share ideas and help others grow and learn.
- Demonstrated experience working productively on cross-functional teams and taking a collaborative, team oriented approach.
Nice to haves
- Experience with payments or the FinTech space
- Experience with Microservices
- Experience with Java Spring Boot
- Experience with cloud computing. (We use AWS, but welcome other cloud experience)
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Contributions to technical blogs, a public Github repo, or to open source projects
Note: We are not expecting you to meet all job requirements, so please apply. It's an exciting time to join Marqeta. As we grow, your career and opportunities will grow as well.
How We Hire Backend Engineers
We are hiring across multiple teams and at all levels.
As you go through our interview experience, we will work to identify the team that best aligns to your skills, experience, and interests.
Our (typical) Process
- You submit your application via the form at the end of this page.
- If qualified, you will be invited to schedule a call with a member of our recruitment team.
- If you pass the screening call, you will be invited to our virtual onsite interview.
- If you pass the virtual interview, we will likely set up a meeting so you can meet the hiring leader(s) for the team(s) we think you are best suited for.
- If successful, we will make an offer – and hopefully we’ll get to work together!
Benefits And Perks
- Rich suite of benefit plans; employee premiums paid 100%
- Flexible Time Off
- Paid Medical, Pregnancy, Parental and Family Leaves
- Retirement savings program with Company contribution
- Competitive pay
- Meaningful equity
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Free perks programs that include, financial coaching, and ID theft protection
- Bi-annual “Hack Week” to support and reward innovation
- Open, transparent culture that includes Town Hall meetings, Lunch-and-Learns and more!
- Access to corporate gym membership rates, other discounts and employee perks
- And for select regions; a monthly stipend to support our hybrid work model, and pet insurance
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Marqeta is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity and will not discriminate against an applicant, candidate, or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital/domestic partner status, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other legally-recognized protected basis under federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
The Applicant and Candidate Privacy Notice applies to the personal data that you directly provide to us or that we collect during the application and candidate recruitment process.