At Citymapper we're a small, hard working team on a mission to help make complex cities easy to use. Our app helps people every day in major world cities like London, New York, and Paris by giving them the most up-to-date and complete information on urban transportation options, with a personal touch.
The COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically changed travel patterns. As people have been reconsidering their travel patterns, we've been improving our support for other travel modes like bicycles, e-scooters, and walking. We've added turn-by-turn voice support for all of these, and we're only getting started.
Our team of Android developers iterates quickly and tests new features and UI tweaks daily in our own travels. We aim to ship changes that make a real difference to users every two weeks or so. We also recently shipped the first version of our SDK, with the goal of giving other apps access to an embedded version of the full Citymapper experience.
We're looking for Senior Engineers to help us take on the following kinds of problems:
- Someone's standing at a bus stop and they have 10 seconds to figure out whether to get on or not. Can we give them a clear answer in time?
- Someone's in the middle of a transit trip when the train they were going to connect to gets delayed. Can we let them know promptly and help them find a better way to get there?
- Someone's traveling in an unfamiliar part of town and doesn't want to get out their phone. Can we give them effortless guidance using only their headphones or smartwatch?
- Someone's traveling home late at night. Can we give their partner peace of mind?
- How do we turn Citymapper-the-mobile-app into Citymapper-the-platform, providing a best-in-class SDK while still building the next generation of features for the core consumer app?
If this sounds like your kind of project and team, we'd love to talk with you.
We're looking for people who can demonstrate good Android development skills. The SDK codebase is 100% modern Kotlin + coroutines, while the Citymapper app is a mix of Kotlin and a rapidly shrinking percentage of Java.
You should also be motivated enough by our mission to improve cities and transportation that you have ideas on how to improve the product & experience.
- Competitive pay & meaningful equity / stock options
- 25 days' annual leave plus bank holidays
- Generous Family Leave policies for if/when you start a family
- Free dinner in the office every day
- Services to support your mental wellbeing
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension scheme (we pay in, you pay in)
- Drinks and social events throughout the year
- Citymapper swag
Location & Visas
We’re a genuinely hybrid company. Our employees have the choice of working from our headquarters on the south bank of the Thames in London, or from home (within the UK) – or a bit of both! If you're based outside of the UK we're also able to consider UK visa sponsorship for international candidates wanting to relocate to the UK.