We aim to improve humanity's most important invention: Software. Our product enables teams to launch and maintain production-grade cloud infrastructure in days, not months.
We create the building blocks that App and DevOps engineers can use to make launching in the cloud 10x better / faster / easier. We think of our work as creating a new paradigm for how DevOps can be done, one that leverages the insight that so many companies re-invent so much of the foundations that software engineers need to build and launch their apps.
- We're profitable.
- We're 100% bootstrapped, with no outside investment or debt.
- We're 100% remote.
- We define success more broadly as bettering the lives of all our stakeholders: not only customers, but also our team, vendors, and families.
- We're growing, so there's lots of opportunity to make a big impact.
- We're fun! Life is short, so we like to make the best of our short time on Earth.
What you'll work on:
- Build a better DevOps experience. We have a unique product that generates best-practices AWS architectures for Terraform and Terragrunt in just a few hours using a collection of internal Golang tools. Help us take this process to the next level of scale and UX as we create the definitive way to go to prod in the cloud.
- Gruntwork platform. Integrate your new product work with our platform, which consists of a REST API (Next.js/Typescript), a web-based single-page app (React/Typescript, Tailwind), and a first-class CLI tool (Go).
- Open source. Contribute to our open source projects as needed, including Terragrunt, Terratest, cloud-nuke, bash-commons, and more.
- Fast feedback loops. Use the product you're creating to deliver "reference architectures" directly to customers. Use their frequent and fast feedback to improve the product and then try out the enhancements in the next deployment. Help us get to the point where the entire experience is completely automated or self-service.
- And a little bit of everything else. Gruntwork is a small, distributed, self-funded, profitable startup, so we all wear a few hats. You should expect to write plenty of code, but, depending on your interests, there will also be ample opportunity to write blog posts, give talks, contribute to open source, go to conferences, talk with customers, do sales calls, interview candidates, mentor new hires, design products, come up with marketing ideas, discuss strategy, and all the other tasks that are part of working at a small company.
Your Ideal Background:
- You know how to write code across the stack and have experience in Golang ("Dev").
- You have experience running production software, ideally with Terraform and AWS ("Ops").
- You have a strong background in software engineering.
- Your happy place is writing code, but you enjoy seeing it in action with real customers.
- You are inspired by our values.
- Bonus points for a sense of humor, empathy, and curiosity.
Compatible time zones
You'll be working with a team in the US time zones, so you can be located in almost any country as long as your time zone is no further west than Los Angeles (GMT-8/GMT-7) and no further east than New York (GMT-5/GMT-4). We've found that when everyone on the team is located in similar time zones, it's easier to collaborate and there's much less pressure to stay up late or get up early, so this is a hard constraint, even if you're willing to work hours different from your current time zone.
Help us a create a fundamentally better DevOps experience!
Our benefits reflect our values. We believe compensation should be fair, transparent, and generous. We hire Grunts in many countries, so some details may vary.
- Location Independent, Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and uses a multiplier to produce a result that's above market for that title. Our salaries are location independent.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Equity. We grant both stock options and the opportunity to receive a multiple of your traditional equity share as part of a unique bonus program.
- Hardware Budget. We'll buy you a brand new 16" Apple MacBook Pro (or other computer of your choosing of equivalent value) upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We'll give you a personal budget of $1,000 USD per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company. For countries other than the US, this includes extra coverage on top of your statutory insurance.
In addition to the global benefits listed above, we have some US-specific benefits as well:
- FSA and HSAs. We don't contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Submit an application
- If your application is promising, we schedule a round 1 interview.
- If we both found round 1 interview is promising, we schedule a few round 2 interviews (generally 2 – 3, each 30 – 45 mins)
- If that goes well, we set up a 1-day, paid trial project where we try out working together for a day. We select a mini-project that closely approximates what you would actually work on, and we both get to see how we like it.
- If we both wish to work together, we present an offer.
- Prior to officially confirming the offer, we do 2 reference checks and a background check.
- You're hired!
Go, Terraform, AWSGo, Terraform, AWS, Typescript, Next, React, PostgreSQL, Tailwind CSS, Python