Vertex is seeking an innovative cell biology Senior Research Scientist with expertise in human
cell models of the eye (including primary or stem cell derived) to investigate disease mechanisms
at the Vertex Oxford Research Site. This is a high impact position within the Dept of Integrative
Biology, which is dedicated to the discovery of novel and effective medicines using innovative
approaches. This state-of-the-art department comprises several complementary functions focused on
identifying new targets and progressing a small molecule portfolio.
Hands on experience with human cell models of the eye or ocular disease is essential. The
application of cell imaging techniques to such models is a plus. With an emphasis on tackling
causal human biology in order to make transformative therapies for patients, this position is
well-placed to deliver results pertaining to therapeutic approaches and understanding of disease
Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive lab expertise in cell biology, preferably relating to cell types of the eye.
- Demonstrable experience of cell imaging methods.
- Familiarity with molecular and biochemical techniques.
- Hands on execution of experiments, which could include but is not limited to:-
– Differentiation of human stem cells into mature cell types of they eye
– Molecular, biochemical and optical analysis of cell models
- Ability to design and execute more challenging experiments, including target identification,
validation, and mechanistic investigation in disease-relevant contexts. A broad working knowledge
of fundamental biology principles.
- Demonstrates astute understanding of how to deploy own talents most effectively
- Maintains a broad knowledge of relevant science beyond own discrete ﬁeld(s)
- Demonstrates increased ﬂuency in new ﬁelds and projects more quickly and generally handles
- Displays greater ability to productively disseminate ideas across discipline- and
- Communicates more effectively in verbal presentations and in writing technical reports
- Demonstrates ability to solve problems to attain crucial Project goals
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or related
disciplines and relevant post-doctoral employment experience, or
- Masters Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or
related disciplines and relevant employment experience, or
- Bachelors Degree (or equivalent degree) in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, or
related disciplines and relevant employment experience
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all
employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender
identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability,
veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic
protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex
will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in
accordance with applicable law.
Please note that Vertex requires COVID-19 vaccination for all employees working in the
U.S. as a condition of employment at Vertex, subject to medical, religious or other
accommodations or exemptions required by law. We believe this requirement is vital to keeping
everyone at Vertex and in our communities safe. This requirement applies to both existing and
new employees who may at any time work on-site at a Vertex facility or visit another location
on behalf of Vertex (e.g., conferences, customer visits, etc.), including all remote employees.
Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to
perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make
a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.