UnitedHealth Group is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The overarching role of the OptumLabs Research Science team is to lead, develop and advance innovative healthcare solutions and enable the vision of signal driven healthcare. At OptumLabs we apply business practices to key research solutions for the realization of scalable models that create long-term impact in real-world settings. Teams of 10-15 scientists, engineers, clinicians, and product managers are formed around specific areas of focus. These teams collaborate in formal and informal ways with other parts of UHG and business partners to advance ideas.
We are seeking Senior Principal Research Scientist with experience in Digital Signals and Digital Therapeutics. You will lead research efforts to develop innovative algorithms that leverage multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims) to identify early signals of mental and physical health changes and drive real-time precision interventions. You will work with an interdisciplinary team to apply advanced mobile and edge computing, signal processing and machine learning methodologies in support of novel products for signal generation and health interventions
Youll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Lead research projects in digital mental health
- Develop innovative algorithms for leveraging multiple sources of data (e.g., wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims) to develop early signals of brain and physical health changes
- Develop and evaluate predictive models on large sensor datasets to help identify patients whose health is declining or improving
- Develop algorithms to analyze, optimize and personalize just-in-time interventions to improve their overall health
- Document research findings thoroughly and maintain well organized code
- Collaborate within cross-disciplinary research teams including business-facing leaders and expert domain scientists. Leads advisory boards and symposia with/for key stakeholders and experts in the field
- Provide recommendations and guidance based on insights gleaned from digital signals and therapeutics
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing to a range of audiences. Authors/co-authors papers, posters, proposals, and presentations
- Leverage analytics and challenge the status quo while maintaining a high attention to detail
- Supports projects and initiatives that are of major strategic value to OptumLabs and the whole of the UHG enterprise
Youll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- PhD degree in Computer Science, Information Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or related field
- 3+ years of post-PhD research or industry experience
- Experience developing Digital Signal based applications or Digital Therapeutics solutions
- In-depth experience with Python and the Python data science libraries (NumPy/SciPy/Pandas/scikit-learn/etc.)
- Experience working with healthcare data or analyzing mobile/wearable/sensor data
- Experience working with AWS and in particular knowledge and fluency with AWS Machine Learning frameworks (particularly AWS SageMaker)
- Experience with deep learning frameworks such as Torch, Theano, or TensorFlow
- Experience with advanced machine learning techniques (e.g., deep learning, multi-task learning, time-series modeling etc.)
- Experience implementing online machine learning algorithms
- Experience developing, implementing, and iteratively improving recommender systems
- Experience with analysis and visualization of large sequential and time series data sets
- Prior experience presenting work at conferences and writing peer review publications
- Solid sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. Pushing the limits of what has been done before sounds fun for you
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you're empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Groups Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $110,200 to $211,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, youll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Research, Scientist, Digital Signals, Digital Therapeutics, wearables, mobile devices, IoT, natural language, claims, Python, Python Sage, Python data science libraries (NumPy/SciPy/Pandas/scikit-learn/etc.) AWS SageMaker, Torch, Theano, TensorFlow, machine learning techniques, deep learning, multi-task learning, time-series modeling, machine learning algorithms, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Work at Home, Work from Home, Remote, New York, NY, New York, San Francisco, CA, California, Chicago, IL, Illinois, Boston, MA, Massachusetts, Minneapolis, MN, Minnesota, Seattle, WA, Washington