UnitedHealth Group is a company that’s on the rise. We’re expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life’s best work.(sm)
Optum Labs is the research and development arm of UnitedHealth Group. We’re a diverse team of curious thinkers and experts in big data, artificial intelligence and machine learning, and scientific and clinical research searching for new ways to help people live healthier lives. We partner with world leaders in health care delivery, research, and technology to create disruptive solutions that serve patients, caregivers, providers, and commercial and government payers.
More equitable, effective, and affordable health care – that’s our goal. We aren’t just trying to improve the care an individual receives. We’re building a future where the health care system works better for everyone.
Here, we have successfully leveraged healthcare data to bring together a more complete view of health and provide more personalized insights to inform healthcare decisions, to drive better options for healthcare that help individuals live a healthy life. In service to this mission, the Optum Labs Data Strategy team is committed to providing the best available data to solve complex business problems across the healthcare delivery system.
The Optum Labs Data Strategy team is building a core capability around data management, governance and use to support enterprise goals to reduce health disparities. For this work, the team is seeking a Sr. Principal Data Analyst to deliver data and analytics that can be used to drive a data product strategy that supports health equity analytic and product delivery in a scalable, sustainable and intentional manner.
Combining a deep knowledge of healthcare data and a commitment to health equity, the Sr. Principal Data Analyst will create and deliver against an analytic program to support and drive an enterprise-wide data strategy for managing and using socio-demographic data as part of a health equity strategy. These data include, but are not limited to, self-reported and imputed Race, Ethnicity, Language (REL) and other socio-demographic data that have been found to be highly correlated with access to quality care. Analyses will include identifying the availability of such data, validating the accuracy of such data, and understanding the biases of such data collections.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Shape development and expansion of a reliable, documented, governed data product for identifying social determinants of health, using best available data
- Leverage internal and external community data expertise to champion innovative and robust data and analytic strategies to mitigate health equity concerns for existing and potential use cases
- Work with business stakeholders and external clients to support data product development, including requirements gathering, specifications documentation and user acceptance testing
- Work within all applicable compliance, privacy and contractual data use requirements as applicable
- Coordinate with third party data partners to land and link third party data assets with internal data assets as needed
- Effectively communicate data and analytic findings with many levels of the organization, business stakeholders/SME, project managers, developers, system architects, quality assurance, operations, etc.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7+ years of experience as a Data Analyst
- 5+ years of experience in the healthcare industry analyzing multiple data asset types (e.g. administrative claims, EMR, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience conducting data analysis (profiling) of healthcare clinical and/or administrative data domains to influence decision makers
- 3+ years of experience with analytic tool such as SQL, Python, or R
- 3+ years of experience working with healthcare data privacy, compliance and governance requirements
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Experience working in the health equity domain, specifically focused on the impact of data collection and use as related to addressing health disparities
- Experience working in a complex environment and creating clear roadmaps that align business and technology objectives
- Demonstrated experience influencing with all levels of technical and business leadership through verbal and written communications
- Demonstrated ability to create and build a new capability or service to address organization or business gaps
- Demonstrated ability to create, fit, and test statistical models including linear regression, logistic regression and related generalized linear models
- Ability to perform hypothesis testing, and clearly communicate statistical validity of results
- Detailed-oriented with solid documentation and tracking skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers at UnitedHealth Group. We have modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Such aspirations tend to attract a certain type of person. Crazy talented. Compassionate. Driven. To these select few, we offer the global reach, resources and can-do culture of a Fortune 5 company. We provide an environment where you’re empowered to be your best. We encourage you to take risks. And we offer a world of rewards and benefits for performance. We believe the most important is the opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The Salary range for Colorado, Connecticut and Nevada residents is $113,500 to 218,100. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug – free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.