- UK only
- Building a SaaS product for the facilities management space
- Laravel and Vue.js
- Currently 7 staff and growing
- Focus on high standards, good software engineering
- Culture of continuous learning and improvement
- 100% remote, forever
- New MacBook Pro
- Professional/wellbeing stipend
- Company perks and rewards
Facilities management teams are responsible for keeping the built environment (in other words, the places we visit or work at) safe and well-maintained. This means everything from routine checks and maintenance, through to dealing with ad-hoc problems and incidents when they occur.
We are building a SaaS product that helps facilities teams manage this work at scale. By using Expansive FM, our clients can track thousands of tasks with ease, helping them to save time and money through operational efficiency, while improving the safety, reliability, and quality of the environments they manage.
This is a senior-level position that comes with a high level of responsibility and autonomy. You should be comfortable dealing with technical complexity and the demands that come with working in a start-up environment.
Some of the traits that we believe will help to make you successful in this role:
- Self-motivated and can work autonomously
- Take the success of the projects you work on personally
- Strong analytical skills and enjoy solving difficult problems
- Appreciation for correctness, without losing the ability to be pragmatic
- You find the right tool for the job, not just what you are comfortable with
- Favour evidence over opinion
- Comfortable giving and receiving constructive (but impersonal) feedback
- You can inspire and support others to do their best work
- Have a clear idea of your professional goals
- Dedicated to learning and ongoing self-improvement
This position has a broad remit, effectively covering all aspects of delivering our web-based application, and the processes that support its development.
It is essential to have a good understanding of software engineering principles, with the ability to design and implement loosely coupled code that can be unit tested.
What does a typical week look like in the role?
- Building new features from the ground up
- Improving existing features based on research, feedback, and analytics
- Troubleshooting and fixing faults
- Writing automated tests (unit, functional, API and E2E)
- Giving and responding to code reviews
- Assisting with backlog refinement
- Attending retrospectives and sprint planning sessions
- Collaborating with other developers to solve a range of issues
- Contributing to our development workflow and processes
- Helping us meet our non-functional goals (security, reliability, etc)
- Technical and functional spikes
You will need to be proficient with the following technologies and techniques:
- Modern vanilla PHP (7.4, 8.0)
- At least one PHP framework, such as Laravel or Symfony
- API design
- Version control
- Debugging tools
- Testing strategies and techniques
You will need to become proficient (i.e., learn on the job, with our help):
- Codeception/Codecept.js test frameworks
- Automation with CI pipelines
- Container management (Docker, Kubernetes) and IaaS/PaaS (AWS)
This is a 100% remote position.
We work between the hours of 9am and 5pm, with the option to flex +/- 1 hour, Mon – Fri.
You will need a dedicated space to work that is comfortable and free from distractions.
Occasional travel may be required to meet with the team for training or planning activities, but this will be made with consideration to individual schedules and commitments. Travel and accommodation costs will, of course, be paid for by the company.
We’ll provide you with a brand-new Apple MacBook Pro 16” and Dell 4K UltraSharp monitor.
Establishing and working towards professional development goals is extremely important to us. We offer £600 per year to spend on professional development and learning, as well as our existing pool of resources.
Health and Wellbeing
Spend up to £300 per year on activities that contribute to your health and wellbeing. This can be used towards gym subscriptions, fitness classes and other activities that make you feel better.
- Salary : £50-£60k – dependent upon experience
- 25 days paid annual leave + public holidays + birthday off
- £600 professional development stipend
- £300 health and wellbeing stipend