Salary: £Competitive plus company benefits + bonus
We are looking for an experienced Developer/Software Engineer to take a lead role in our Ad
Product team. The team is tasked with building and maintaining the systems which deliver
advertising (display, video, native) and other commercial and partnership components across our
range of digital products.
Who we are
Reach PLC is the UK's largest commercial news publisher, with influential national newsbrands
such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, OK! Magazine, Daily Record, and more than
100 distinguished regional titles. Every day our newsbrands – national and regional, in print and
online – reach millions of people up and down the country.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5.8 million readers of one of our brands each
month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories,
with 26 billion page views per year. Combined, we have a total monthly readership of 47 million
Reach Solutions is the commercial side of the business, generating revenues from advertising,
partnerships and other digital and physical products.
You will be a development lead in our Ad Product team within the Reach Solutions development
group – designing, building and optimising our digital commercial products.
We deploy these digital commercial products across our large network of sites, so they will need
to be designed and built to support large scale and high performance.
With an ever-changing commercial and technical landscape you will be involved from initial design
and POC to full build, rollout and management of a variety of different products and
integrations, working closely with internal stakeholders and external customer teams.
- work closely with product owners and commercial stakeholders to understand business
requirements and help translate these into technical requirements for the development team
- create tickets and technical specifications for features and system design
- design, build and configure the code, services and integrations with external platforms to
meet business commercial requirements
- direct the development team in the design, development, coding, testing and debugging
- write testable, scalable and efficient code and lead code reviews
- mentor and manage junior team members and ensure they adhere to software quality standards
- represent the business in pre- and post-sales activities and meetings with external customers
- become a technical subject expert in our commercial and advertising platforms
The Ideal Candidate
You'll have experience as a Senior Developer/Software Engineer building web and other
applications, ideally with a good knowledge of commercial and advertising ecosystems.
- have solid experience in software development
- care deeply about the code the whole team writes
- possess good communication skills
- be able to bridge the gap between the technical and business stakeholders, understanding the
commercial drivers and KPIs the products should meet
- have proven success as a technical team leader
- be a good mentor and coach
- be flexible and keen to improve and expand your skills
As an experienced developer you will already be familiar with a variety of languages, frameworks,
platforms and technologies, and able to select and apply the most appropriate to each
A selection of the technologies we currently use are listed below and we'd expect you to have
experience of many of them (and be able to quickly get up to speed on the rest).
appropriate (e.g Java for some of our CMS integrations)
- Grunt, Sass, Babel, Webpack, Pug, NPM
- Google Ad Manager
- Google services (Tag Manager, Analytics, Data Studio, BigQuery…)
- Prebid.js, Prebid server
- IAB TCF Consent Management Platform
- AMP framework
- AWS cloud for application backend services and APIs (servers and serverless platforms)
- Relational databases (e.g Amazon RDS, PostgreSQL, MySql)
- Event streams
- Docker containers
- Drone CI continuous delivery platform
- Unit and integration testing (e.g. Karma, Jest, Cypress)
Salary + performance bonus, & benefits package including;
Saving for your retirement – join our pension scheme & we'll match
contributions up to 6%
25 days' holiday per year. After three, five & ten years' service with Reach,
you'll accrue one additional day of annual leave. We also have a Holiday Purchase
Flexibility – This role will be split between ‘Home & Hub' (office) giving you
more flexibility to balance home & life & we'll support you with your home
set-up. The majority of time will be working from home, but you'll need to be able to come to
the office when required for face to face team or customer meetings.
Enhanced family leave– including maternity, paternity & adoption – & you'll be
eligible after just six months' employment
Private Healthcare Cash Plan – free health cash plan so you can claim back
cash for a range of medical expenses
Lifestyle & shopping discounts schemes – a variety of discounts available to
employees for day to day expenses, or treats!
Wellbeing support – including a 24/7 assistance programme for you & your
family, a free subscription to mindfulness app Headspace & access to free mental health
coaching through Sanctus
- As one of the UK's top 50 Inclusive Employers everyone's invited to join our
events, programmes & networks to celebrate diversity & build an environment where all our people
- A FTSE 250 Company, a member of the 30% Club, a global
campaign aimed at increasing gender diversity at board & senior management
Reach plc believes diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This
is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all
suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity,
ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.