Optum is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
Do you want to work on an awesome team of data scientists and data engineers? Do you love big data and the challenges it entails? Do you want to create applications that people love?
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work cross-functionally with data scientists, data analysts, product managers, and stakeholders to understand business needs and develop, maintain and optimize the data sets, data models and large-scale data pipelines primarily in the Azure Databricks Spark cloud stack used for data science models and visualizations. You will partner with Optum Technology team to drive best practices and set standards for data engineering patterns and optimization. You are a key influencer in data engineering strategy.
This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone who wants to have business impact, dive deep into large scale data pipeline and work closely with cross functional team. This position would be fully remote, and report directly to the Director of Data Science.
Purpose of Position:
- Design and develop ETL/ELT solutions on Azure Databricks, Delta Lake and Spark to support OptumRx Digital MBO's
- Develop, implement, and deploy large scale data pipelines empowering machine learning algorithms, insights generation, business intelligence dashboards, reporting and new data products
- Partner with Optum Technology to create and maintain the technical architecture of the Enterprise Delta Lake to consolidate data from many systems into a single source for machine learning and reporting analytics
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Design, build, optimize, and manage modern large-scale data pipelines ETL/ELT processing to support data integration for analytics, machine learning features and predictive modelling
- Consume data from a variety of sources (RDBMS, APIs, FTPs and other cloud storage) & formats (Excel, CSV, XML, JSON, Parquet, Unstructured)
- Write advanced / complex SQL with performance tuning and optimization
- Identify ways to improve data reliability, data integrity, system efficiency and quality
- Participate in architectural evolution of data engineering patterns, frameworks, systems, and platforms including defining best practices and standards for managing data collections and integration
- Work with data scientists to deploy machine learning models to real-time analytics systems
- Design and build data service APIs
- Mentor other data engineers and provide significant technical direction by teaching other data engineers how to leverage cloud data platforms
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics or related discipline
- 3+ years of experience in data engineering, data integration, data modeling, data architecture, and ETL/ELT processes to provide quality data and analytics solutions
- 3+ years of experience in SQL with designing complex data schemas and query performance optimization
- 2+ years of experience in Apache Spark (PySpark / Spark SQL)
- 2+ years of experience in Python
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance
- Experience working with large size data sets using Big Data Frameworks (i.e., Hadoop/EMR/Databricks/Spark/Hive etc.)
- Experience using Regular Expression, Rest API, NoSQL, Kafka, CI/CD technology, Git
- Experience with at least one of the following cloud platforms: (Azure, AWS or GCP)
- Extensive knowledge of data architecture principles (e.g., Data Lake, Databricks Delta Lake, Data Warehousing, etc.)
- Extensive knowledge of data modelling techniques including slowly changing dimensions, aggregation, partitioning and indexing strategies
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and performance tune large scale enterprise systems
- Excellent collaborator with experience working effectively with cross-functional teams such as leadership, product management and engineering, with a willingness to inspire other data engineers, data scientists and analysts
- Solid communication skills with the ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you'll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you're empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.