Senior Data Engineer
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald Digital Ventures is at the heart of this revolution transforming infrastructure at speed by connecting innovation to outcomes. We work across the globe with some of the biggest and most progressive clients, on the most exciting projects. We exist to empower lasting industry transformation, enable engineering innovation on demand through our Moata platform, and drive transformational growth through our partnerships bringing the best ideas and innovations together.
A bit about the team
Our dynamic and diverse team ranges from information consultants, investment analysts through to product managers, software developers, data scientists and everything in between. At Digital Ventures were not short on ambition, and we want our people to have genuinely exciting and fulfilling careers full of equal opportunities for growth, with a real sense of purpose through meaningful work and meaningful relationships.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer within our new Digital Ventures Division, which is both a driving force and a strategic enabler of Digital Innovation. You will be working from our London office in Farringdon and will be supporting global business. We foster an environment where we can innovate and embrace cutting-edge technologies to solve real-world problems.
The Moata data team are developing an industry leading data platform on Azure. We are seeking a seasoned hands-on Data Engineer to join the team and help to deliver our vision. We have a growing workload of data pipelines and data science solutions that we want to deploy on Azure using IaC and CI/CD in accordance with best practices.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will support our data teams in UK and across the Globe in designing and deploying these solutions. This will involve helping with the delivery of client projects but also designing and implementing our global data platform.
- Work with the Data Engineering team to design and implement Azure solutions to solve data engineering problems
- Work with the Data Engineering team to implement monitoring solutions and processes to ensure high uptime
- Have a view on what is right for the business for our data systems and provide expert guidance to improve the existing data pipelines and the full machine learning lifecycle
- Continuously identify areas of improvement and ensure the application of industry standards and best practices
- Supervise and coach the team of Junior Data Engineers by building capabilities for sustainable growth
Required for the position of Senior Data Engineer;
- Proven track record of designing, implementing, and supporting solutions in technologies such as Azure or AWS
- Strong knowledge of database infrastructure, including storage, collection, and aggregation models. As well as relevant industry standard techniques and technologies, and how to apply them in business
- Expertise in Python software development
- Expertise in designing and deploying cloud technology solutions using Infrastructure as Code
- Expertise in designing and implementing CI/CD pipelines with cloud technologies such as Azure or AWS
- Understanding of security considerations in the development and deployment of cloud technology solutions
- Experience with DevOps
- Experience mentoring more junior team members
- Expertise in SQL
- Ability to clearly communicate technical information
- Data engineering experience using Microsoft Azure technologies: DevOps, Data Lake, Data Factory, etc
- Knowledge and experience in Python package development
- Experience with distributed processing technologies like Spark or Hadoop
- Experience with productionizing machine learning algorithms will be a plus
If you meet 80% or more of what were looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didnt know we need.
Job ProfileAbout the business unit
The digital revolution is changing infrastructure around the world, how it is designed, built, and managed. Using an explosion of available data, modern cloud technology and advanced data science we can enhance infrastructure performance to benefit society, the environment and business. From enhancing solar yield to predicting future maintenance needs, digital is at the heart of improving of our built environment, achieving carbon net zero and improving citizens lives.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working because life isnt 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Other InformationEquality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
Were a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each persons differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence