At Hearst UK, there’s always more to the story. Join us as our new Senior Data Engineer to start the next chapter in your career.
We’re the UK’s leading premium publisher, and the people behind iconic media brands such as Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar and Country Living. We’ve created a working environment that encourages everyone to pull together. We never stop looking for brave new ideas. We’ll always try to develop and improve, we trust each other to do our best, and we have fun as we build on our heritage to make history.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Hearst data team as a Senior Data Engineer where you’re areas of focus will be to super serve our commercial customers and brand audiences, helping them get more out of life, whether it’s delivering ROI for our advertising partners or delivering personalised experiences for our loyal brand audiences. We know we can do this by putting data and insight at the heart of our business, creating a single customer view and a culture of data excellence.
This position will be responsible for developing, optimising, and overseeing our conceptual and logical data systems. We have a myriad of legacy and siloed data systems that need to be migrated into our new centralised structure. Working with our Global Data Engineering team, UK Analysts, and Business Systems team this role will deliver technical recommendations and solutions which enable us to continue the enrichment and accessibility of our data assets.
Some areas of focus Include:
• Design and implement effective database solutions and end-to-end models for data consumption and analysis
• Examine and identify database structural needs by evaluating operational processes, applications and programming
• Assess database implementation procedures to ensure the comply with internal and external (legal) regulations
• Prepare accurate database design and architecture reports (effectiveness and accuracy) for management and executive teams.
• Oversee the migration of data from legacy systems to new solutions
• Monitor system performance by performing regular tests, troubleshooting, and integrating new features
• Create and maintain database documentation, including data standards, procedures, and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
• Ensure that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly
• Develop, manage, and test back-up and recovery plans
• Develop and maintain security and disaster recovery of the database and create standards to ensure that the system is safe
• Research and discover new methods to acquire data
The role is fast-paced and hands-on and ideal for someone with a willingness to keep up to date with developments in new technology. We are looking for someone with outstanding problem-solving, organisational, and analytical skills with experience in explaining complex processes and circumstances in technical and non-technical terms.
Essential Technical Skills & Experience
- Previous experience as a Data Engineer or Architect
- SQL Server, RDBMS such as PostgreSQL
- Proven experience of ETL design and delivery (SISS or similar tools)
- Experience with AWS data technologies – AWS SQL Server RDS, AWS Athena, AWS Glue, AWS 3, AWS EC2, Apache Airflow
- Experience in designing, building, managing and maintaining data warehouse, data mart, customer data platform (CDP) and/or data lake architecture
- Proven experience of data migration
- Experience working with the following file formats – XLSX, CSV, JSON, XML
- Experience with BI and data visualisation tools, particularly Looker and Tableau
- Experience of working across end-to-end software development, technology or consulting projects (strategy, discovery, design, development and deployment)
- An understanding of information legislation, such as the Data Protection Act
Desirable Technical Skills & Experience
- Experience with Selligent (ESP), Faststats, LiveRamp and Permutive (DMP)
- Multi-cloud or Hybrid-cloud experience
- NoSQL such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Neo4J
- Experience with cloud platform budget management and pricing models
- Machine learning and data modelling tools
- Knowledge of CRM and Digital marketing
- Publisher / Media background
WHAT WE OFFER
At Hearst UK, you can choose from a huge range of perks and benefits that can help you learn well, work well and live well including:
- 25 days’ holiday (with the option to buy up to 5 additional holiday days)
- Hybrid working – Two days per week in the office
- Discounted gym membership
- Healthcare cash plan
- Spend a charity day with your favourite good cause
- Life assurance and pension scheme
- Regular socials and more!
There’s more to your story than you imagine. And the next chapter begins right here.
This employer is a corporate member of
myGwork – LGBTQ+ professionals, the business community for LGBTQ+ professionals,
students, inclusive employers & anyone who believes in workplace equality.