Hastings is a leading company within the UK general insurance market; our vision is to become the best and biggest digital insurer.
This is an exciting time for the business, and your opportunity to make a real difference to create a new strength for Hastings delivering reliable, robust, and timely data products to our Underwriting teams.
Reporting directly into a Data Engineering Manager, collaborating with some of the sharpest minds in the industry you will take the lead in major projects to develop, maintain and improve both existing and new processes for data integration and transformation.
Your remit will include the following:
- Develop, document, and maintain robust processes that transform and clean data for input into a variety of live systems and analytical workflows
- Take on larger projects where you will need to co-ordinate the division of tasks with colleagues and drive the overall project to completion
- Maintain process quality and robustness through coding best practice, including version control, documentation, and peer review
- Investigate and elaborate data issues to help drive continuous improvement in data quality
- Management and or leadership of junior engineers to develop them and ensure effective delivery of output to business.
- Experience working in an Agile environment, utilising methodologies such as Scrum/Kanban/BDD/TDD/Extreme Programming, etc.
- Ability to break down Epics from a design perspective, and support the delivery of the MVP, that can be continuously improved
- Experience in designing and implementing solutions with cloud-based platforms such as Snowflake, as well as the Microsoft Azure stack using technologies such as Azure Data Factory, Databricks, SQL Server, Synapse Analytics, Analysis Services and Power BI
- Good understanding of database architecture and querying using SQL, with a minimum of 3 years' experience
- Experience using any language such as Python, Scala, R
- Experience in problem solving, solution designing and innovative applications
- A sound understanding of data transformation and cleaning
- Enthusiasm for accuracy with a proven track record of solving complex data problems
- Experience working with insurance data
- People management or leadership of large pieces of work
- Experience in coaching or mentoring junior colleagues
- Understanding of machine learning and statistical modelling techniques
- Stakeholder management
- Experience liaising with colleagues across the business to elaborate requirements for new data products and translate these into technical plans
Within a growing team, your role can really help make an impact on both the development and delivery of this function – it will be exciting, busy, varied and challenging so a roll sleeves up, hands-on approach is essential.
Natural problem solver who communicates effectively to all internal partners.
This is a dynamic, fast paced working environment – applicant should be comfortable working within that setting.
Great attention to detail – systematic approach to managing your workload.
Embraces opportunities to develop and learn – shows a great level of self-awareness and drive.
Benefits for you
Please find some of the great benefits we offer here at Hastings Direct:
- Competitive basic salary
- Flexible working opportunities working 1-2 days a week from home
- Up to 20% bonus earning potential
- 27 days holiday
- Life assurance
- Competitive pension
- Flexible benefits – buy or sell holidays
- Discounted Hastings Direct products
- Discounted rail travel
Hastings Group is an equal opportunities employer which means we treat people fairly. We welcome applications from all suitably skilled persons regardless of their gender, age, race, disability, ethnic background, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment or marital/family status. Please also note that we have a thorough referencing process, which includes credit and criminal record checks.